Friday, March 01, 2019

Grace Cathedral

Sitting on top of Knob Hill in San Francisco, Grace Cathedral is a massive, classical stone masterpiece.  I had seen it from the outside several times, but I had never been inside until last summer.  It is worth climbing the steps.  A grand gothic style stone structure.  

A classmate of J's retired last fall from a lifetime as a Priest at Grace.  We met up with him last July for a little sightseeing and a nice lunch at the Ferry Building.  He was saying how lucky he has been to find a home, and make a difference in such a wonderful place.  

Do you explore churches when you travel? 

6 comments:

  1. I don't make a point of specifically seeking them out, but if they're there right in front of me, yeah, I'll go in and snoop around. The only two churches that I can think of which I've gone specifically out of my way to see are Westminster Abbey and St Peter's Basilica at the Vatican.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, they creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always. Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's, Lincoln Cathedral, Salisbury, Bath, Canterbury, etc. I love to poke around and often take the free docent tour. The only ones I've visited in the US are Washington Cathedral and the Crystal Cathedral (which may be defunct now).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the echoing silence of empty churches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nope. I spent too much time in them for the first 22 years of my life. I have been to the vatican, and the national cathedral in DC. notre dame in paris & montreal too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are many Architectural Wonders the world has to offer, Many Architecture mistries still to be discovered, Design, what we know is that we are part of the great rich heritage of endless awesome (Magnificent) edifice, as we journey lets travel along to see this enigmatic concepts, cost it might just inspire up to find the true concept of our own existence, Our purpose in this world and the energy (determination) to make its a reality, Outliving our limits, dreams and Standard, that my #ArchitecturalJourney @Emmizunik88 @OghenetegaEmma2 @JulietIbrahim @realDonaldTrump @Theresa_May @GEJonathan @atiku @BetKingNG @JijiNigeria @ManUtd ........................ #EndlessGreatNissAndPossibilitiesUnleashed

    ReplyDelete