Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Travel Tuesday - Another Random Change of Plans


This was taken in early September of 2008, in Jeuno Alaska. Another random spin through the unsorted photo archive.  

We had not planned a float plane tour.  We had planned, actually booked seats on a helicopter tour that flew out and landed on a glacier, were we would get out and walk around on the glacier.  I had dreams about the helicopter tour.  It was one of two must do items on the cruise to Alaska.  And it didn't happen.  The fog was too thick, the winds too fast, the helicopter's weren't flying. 

The float planes were.  So change of plans, we were seated in a van down to the end of the harbour.   I love to fly, I grew up in and around little airplanes.  The pilot looked over his motley crew of passengers, and said to me, I could use about 250 pounds in the front seat, do you mind riding up front?  Mind! I would have paid extra! He must have filed an instrument flight plan, we were deep in the clouds for ten minutes, I could see on the radar the mountains on both sides taller than the we were high as he flew down the inlet. We made a gentle turn to the left, then we cleared out of the clouds and there on the left was a massive glacier.  The plane had recently been rebuilt, upgraded to a turboprop power plant (a jet engine with a propeller on the front.) It had less than 100 hours on the Hobbs meter.  

Looking at this brings all of that back in vivid detail.  

I still owe sweetie bear a helicopter ride.   

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/07/2021

    It sounds great. We went in a light plane many years ago and landed on a glacier in New Zealand. It was very exciting but I am not keen on small planes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in and around planes that make this look LARGE.

      Delete
  2. A helicopter ride would be neat. I think my hot air balloon ride is up next. Hopefully this summer if travel isn't better, or any variants.

    I was going to ask what in the hell does the bride with the big hooters with her groom leaning over a cake have to do with anything, then realized it was an ad. I noticed blogger places them, sometimes several, right in the middle of your post, and at first glance, confuses me to what it has to do with your writings, till it hits me. LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great photo! I would have been elated to sit in the front seat. I would have held 60 pounds of something in my lap! At that time, maybe 70 pounds of something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are rare advantages to being a fat man

      Delete
  4. The flight alone would have been amazing, but to be in the front seat? I'm very jealous right now; happy for you and your experience, but jealous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I look forward to doing this again

      Delete
  6. What a great experience.

    ReplyDelete