Wednesday, December 22, 2021

The Way We Were Wednesday. - Christmas in Paris


It is a bit of a long story, of lots of travel in a short period of time, and being pissed off at something someone said, I got wild hair one year and we went to Paris for Christmas the next year.  It was in the very early 2000's. 

I used 100,000 Delta frequent flyer miles for seats on Air France. I had been trying for a couple of weeks to book seats on Delta, I called one evening and the operator checked and found nothing, and she said, "would you mind traveling on Air France? I bet I can get you seats on our partner airline." Yes, without a moment's hesitation. We stayed in a comfortable but modest Best Western hotel near the Eiffel Tower.  We spent a week exploring, visiting museums, eating incredible food, and relaxing.  We had Christmas dinner at Altitude 95 on the Eiffel Tower.  It was delightful! Even if the airport was a Zoo when we went to fly home. 
 

18 comments:

  1. That second photo. I know the place well. The restaurant is Le Recruitment and I ate there (again) the last time I was in Paris. The restaurant kitty-corner to it is called Le Centenaire where I had one of the best (not fancy) meals I've had in Paris. Thanks for the memories!

    Here's a link to my post and photo from 2018: https://wcs4.blogspot.com/2018/06/le-recruitement.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, didn't I just spell that wrong! It's Le Recrutement. :)

      Delete
    2. An amazing city for food.

      Delete
  2. Still haven't been. It hasn't made the bucket list just yet...maybe once "my must see's" are done, then I'll start a new list with Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you understand the French, Paris is a joy.

      Delete
    2. It's understanding the French that's the tricky part... 😊

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12/22/2021

    Christmas in Paris sounds wonderful. I can remember seeing Galleries Lafayette from a coach. I know the coach went along Rue Lafayette, so I suppose that is where I saw it. There is something about Galleries been fake on the www but I don't have the interest to investigate further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to see the lights and window displays at night, when the stores were closed. It was amazing - and crowded.

      Delete
  4. I’d love Paris at Christmas ... with or WITHOUT wild hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to spend Christmas, wild hair, or airport zoos notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun , I'd do it again, not this year, but someday

      Delete
  6. What a great experience. I've been to London twice near Christmas but never on the actual holiday. I'd love to do that sometime.

    ReplyDelete