Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Saturday Morning Post - Fast Away the Old Year Passes


 It seems like just yesterday, this year was beginning.  And here we are nearing the end of the year.  It has been an interesting year.  I started out working from home full time.  Walking in the swamp most mornings.  As the year progressed I was allowed to return to the office if I wished, and I did, two or three days a week.  We took a nice break in New York the end of August, then actually traveled by air for a conference in Reno, and a few days in the mountains.  By the time I returned, the subway, metrorail announced that is had taken 60% of it's rolling stock out of service because the wheels are sliding out on the axles, just this week they started to return some of those cars to service. With metro running at 40% of a normal schedule, I started driving to the office.  Limiting me to going in once or twice per week.  I don't enjoy the drive.  I finally parted with the second third car, the dealer found Max a good home in about a week's time.  We have moved forward on planning a kitchen replacement, we are about to give up on that and try again next year.  

It was a good year at the office.  My primary funding was renewed for another five years.  We picked up an exciting new project that will keep us very busy for the next two years. 

I have reawakened my joy of photography this year.  I love taking the camera and going for a long slow walk.  I added a second camera and some new (used) lenses this year. I am almost ashamed at the growth of the collection, good stuff, bought at great prices, at a time when I can afford it, but still indulgences. The 18-200mm is an amazing lens, and if I have been a very good person this year there is a little box under the tree with a lens I have wanted for almost 50 years.  I have started reading theory, history, art, and technique of photography - probably more seriously than I did when I was a student.  There are things I want to do.  

It has been a surprisingly good year for reading, my reading list will post near the end of the year.  

Still it is hard for me to believe that the sun is setting on 2021, the dawn of 2022 is on the horizon, time flies when we are having fun. 

 

15 comments:

  1. For it being another weird year...it sure did fly by. And for me a bad year for many dear ones passing on, from friends to bloggers to family. It's been a melancholic month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/18/2021

    It is hard to believe we are the end of 2021. I want to say in relation to the pandemic, next year will be better, but I said that in 2020. I'm pleased you had a good year. I try to focus on the good of the past year and there was much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In every day, there is good if we see it

      Delete
  3. As a brilliant philosopher once said, “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time certainly does fly! It's very hard to believe that we are headed into 2022. I still remember all the fuss over Y2K. It's hard to believe we are now 22 years past that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. still using some of the software that had to be patched

      Delete
  5. I feel like 2020 dragged, you know, lockdown and all, but 2021 was here and now it's almost gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The past two years are a blur, then I look at my hair, almost two years since last haircut. There has to be a post in that someplace.

      Delete
  6. I agree that 2021 went surprisingly quickly, all things considered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy everyday, find the joy in it.

      Delete
  7. May the next year be a marvelous one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it will be a grand adventure, and I am along for the ride.

      Delete