Tuesday, November 02, 2021

Travel Tuesday - Pause for a Moment of Zen


 I recently read a book about Zen and photography.  The book had some great points, some self teaching exercises, a reminder that we are always learning, that we will all hit barriers and setbacks, and a lot of about relaxing and letting all of your senses, your entire being be a part of the creative process.  I can follow that so far, then it gets silly for me.  But, his suggestion of taking time to stop and not think about anything, just be where you are being resonates with me.  

Back when I was in undergrad, there was a chapel on campus, and I would go in, sit in the balcony and just be quiet.  It was an intense time in my life, I was working often 50-60 hours a week, going to the gym five times a week, running 6 days a week, riding a bike 50 miles a week, swimming a couple of miles a week, and taking classes two nights a week (I worked my way through undergrad, working full time and going to school half time.) There were days when I really needed 15 minutes of nothing, and the chapel was one of the best places on campus to escape and be alone. 

When we travel I often go into churches, most are beautiful and peaceful places, a place to pause and just think about nothing for a few minutes.  I am not a practitioner of any religion, but I find most of the places special.  

9 comments:

  1. I think most people would agree with you. Im not a practitioner either and I just love the architecture and quiet of churches ,cathedrals, basilicas and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You undergrad years sound nothing like mine, which I spent mostly in bars I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rollins closed the on-campus bar the year I started there.

      Delete
  3. Where did we find that kind of energy when we were young? I could use even a small fraction of it now, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how I survived, sheer willpower at times.

      Delete
  4. I do the same thing. I'm not religious either but a peaceful and quiet church makes a perfect escape from the stresses or work and travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are there any interesting old Mission churches in your area? There is a string of missions south of San Antonio, very interesting.

      Delete