Thursday, November 18, 2021

Thursday Ramble - Protect Yourself


I am reading David Sedaris's latest book, he quotes a joke that was told to him at a book signing, "What does a waiter say to a table full of New Yorkers 5 minutes after the food is served?" "Is anything okay?"* 

I had a diatribe composed after a couple of rough days.  I deleted it. Enough wallowing in dealing with difficult people.  People are going to be rude, we need to remember to protect ourselves.  

  • Set aside time to do nothing, 
  • Control what comes in, change the channel, find a different book, log off the news feed, 
  • Find something to laugh about, Mitchell has a suggestion  
  • Delete the toxic people 
  • Take a long walk
  • Spend time with someone you love
  • Communicate with friends 
  • Sleep - when in doubt - get horizontal 
  • Eat well 
  • Be creative, write, take photos, draw, paint, needle arts, whatever works for you 
  • Don't take it personally 

* I have edited the joke to be less offensive or sexist - his version is a table full of jewish women out to lunch in New York.

14 comments:

  1. So you use Lifestyles huh?

    I do like David Sedaris's work and I don't get insulted or put off easily. I took no offense...of course Id be a insult comic if I had went into comedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have got to have lunch someday!

      Delete
  2. Good advice! Life is too short to let assholes ruin it for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my work finally cut one off, ended the abuse.

      Delete
  3. Good for you. Those diatribes only make us more angry. So nice of people to leave condoms out in the cruising park for others to use. I love David Sedaris; have to get his latest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His latest, a Carnival of Snackery, is long, but easy to read. I was in a local independent bookstore recently, and bought a print copy. Now what do we do with it after both of us have read it.

      Delete
    2. I still enjoy books in hardcopy, but I DO hate having them after they‘re read. I don’t like to keep collect books anymore after downsizing. So, the usually end up at the charity shop. I mostly read ebooks now.

      Delete
  4. Most important these media-drenched days:
    - Control what comes in, change the channel, find a different book, log off the news feed
    - Delete the toxic people
    😘

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: The latter should be done without scoring a homicide indictment, if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the joke, even the uncensored version because I love some shock comedy.

    Your list is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book as several good jokes

      Delete
  7. You give good advice today.

    ReplyDelete