Wednesday, November 24, 2021

The Way We Were Wednesday - Time Flies


This is my oldest brother, out in the snow, about 70 years ago. How can he be that old?  It seems like just yesterday he was finishing high school and heading out to make his way in the world (more like 51 years ago.) 

Sorting through my father's slides, there was one roll of black and white transparencies.  My father clearly preferred color for both slides and prints.  When this was taken in the very early 1950's, color was still emerging in the consumer market.  An amazing thing about the early Kodachrome slides, is most of them have aged well.  The color in Kodachrome was added in the development, using dyes that have a much longer life than the dyes in early Ektachrome that had the dyes in the film. 

Ektachrome you could process at home, if you were careful and adventurous, and yes I did.  Seems like just yesterday I was doing that, and it was more like 42 years ago the last time I did that.  Time flies. 

Happy Birthday this month to my oldest brother, who I don't think reads my blog.   

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/24/2021

    It's a simple photo but looking at it full sized, rather interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One I never saw, until sorting slides after dad died.

      Delete
  2. My father has boxes and boxes of slides. I love looking through them because rarely were any developed as photos, so they are rare sights indeed., and it's amazing to see them because

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A slide scanner and a few cold winter nights, and I was able to share them with everyone.

      Delete
  3. Kind of an ethereal and eerie photo, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An inexpensive camera, film that shows it's age, and an erie snowy day, it has a special charm

      Delete
  4. I've noticed that difference it the way Kodachrome and Ektachrome ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few dye transfer prints, early color prints made by a process where the colors were added to the paper in the processing stages, rather than embedded into the paper. Those prints retain color so well, one is at least 60 years old. The shift to paper with the dyes in the paper was all about speed and cost, not about quality.

      Delete
  5. I know nothing about the mechanics but I do like the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, every family should have photo memories like this

      Delete
  6. You’re inspiring me to look back through the old slides once more. We had them all digitized before leaving the States. This is a magical shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be amazed what you will find. I still have the 8mm movies to get done

      Delete