Thursday, March 04, 2021

A Year Already!


 It has been a year, since I was in the office on a regular basis.  We left for Ireland about the first of March last year, while we were there the world changed, and by the time I returned to the office on St. Patrick's day, my office had gone from about 3% telecommuting to over 97% telecommuting. I was told to pick up an office laptop, take whatever I needed from my office and work from home for a month or so.  That was a year ago.  The office has extended telecommuting through the end of August - to allow staff to make plans for the spring and summer.  

My sweet hubby, had his first Covid vaccine shot last Friday, with the second shot scheduled in another couple of weeks.  I am on the waiting list, from what I can see, my county is vaccinating about 20,000 new people each week, and there are about 97,000 people on the waiting list (there are 1.14 million people in the county.) I signed up February 8th, my guess is it will be a month or so before my first dose.  

I look forward to returning to the office, to traveling, to planning travel, to going out to dinner, to hugging friends.  There is a light at the end of this tunnel.  

Oh the photo above, Ms. Garmin decided to take us the back way, to one of the hotels in Ireland, in the fog, and rain, down narrow lanes, with cliffs and a lake, and stone walls.  It was spectacular, when it wasn't terrifying.  There was an easier route, a left turn at the roundabout, two blocks down on the left.  For some reason Ms. Garmin never did recognize that route as workable, maybe it was the whole driving on the left side of the road thing that confused her.  Thinking about it, spending a week driving on the left side of the road was good training for the year to come, doing familiar things in unfamiliar ways.  Working at home, ordering delivery from restaurants, routine shopping online with delivery, lots of things we did differently this past year. 


15 comments:

  1. I love your preparation for a year on the other side of the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sometimes it just flows

      Delete
  2. It’s a year for me working from home this month, as well. While others started back one day a week in January, I’ve been able to remain wfh 100% due to reasonable accommodation for medical reasons until at least April 2nd. I plan to apply to extend for as long as I can until more people in my office are vaccinated, (I’ll be fully vaccinated on March 14th.) Truth be told, working from the office will be easier in many ways, and I really don’t mind returning to the office (hour commute both ways aside.) I only want to remain wfh ft for safety reasons. I am sure I will have to go back eventually. But I am also looking forward to returning to some semblances of normalcy. I miss going out to dinner and weekend get always. And visiting my local comic shop.

    And seeing and hugging friends.

    Sassybear
    Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those of us of a certain age, this will change the remainder of our working lives. For the better in many ways

      Delete
  3. I am also feeling optimistic for what comes next. I think we're next up for vaccines at our MDs, sometime after March 8. If no, or at least not many more, states follow the Texas amd Mississippi models, maybe we're see that light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shake my head when I think of texas, declared mission accomplished and it is over.

      Delete
  4. todd has been working from home since mid-march last year. no return-to-physical-office date yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a long year. I'm looking forward to normalcy again -- maybe by Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent point about preparing you to do things differently. My friend Julie was in India at that time and lockdown happened a few days after she got home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think, if I am going to be stranded, Dublin is nice

      Delete
  7. That is a perfect shot of Ireland. I was there in 2017, and your photo really captures the countryside. I just my second dose today. So far feeling no side effects, fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pretty off the beaten path

      Delete
  8. how fast the year went it feels; nothing happened yet it whizzed by.

    ReplyDelete