Mike does just wonderful in life with a little help from his friends. This is his third dog from The Seeing Eye in Morristown, New Jersey. It takes a special dog to help Mike live a full life, raised from puppyhood, thousands of hours of work and training go into preparing a dog to help Mike navigate the world. It is amazing to watch the two of them develop a bond of trust. If you are of a mind to support a charitable organization, The Seeing Eye makes a real difference in helping people navigate life.
Mike's friends help a little, simple things:
- If you are giving directions or helping Mike find something, describe it, don't point.
- Don't get between him and the dog.
- Don't interact with the dog when the harness is on.
- When walking with Mike, let him and dog be a couple of steps ahead, it helps the dog lead Mike.
- If you see a curb or step, tell Mike, though the dog will feel it before he does and seldom misses.
- Try not to trip over the dog, I tripped over his previous dog - twice.
- Ask Mike, how you can help, before trying to help.
- Speak up and let Mike know you have entered the room, tell him when you are leaving.
- He plays golf with a partner - who knows what to say to help him - he and his daughter played Pebble Beach last summer.
Mike lives a full and active life. Can he do everything - it seems like it sometimes - he does 100% of everything he can do. What I have never seen him do, is dwell on what he can't do. If Mike had a pitty-party it was a long time ago, if it is ongoing it is in private, as he pushes onward, always onward.
mike is an inspiration. you are VERY lucky to have him as a friend.ReplyDelete
Mike sounds like a great person. And that’s an excellent charity!ReplyDelete
Sounds like a great guy living his best life!ReplyDelete