Monday, April 10, 2017

Bringing home flowers

My mother loved fresh flowers in the house, but she rarely brought them home.  She was never a gardener, I think it brought back to many painful memories of struggling on her family farm as a child. Her reasoning for not buying herself flowers was simple, flowers cost money and they didn't last long.  She denied herself the enjoyment of fresh flowers to save a few dollars. In the end, the money outlasted her. A couple of days after I returned from her funeral I was in the market and saw fresh cut flowers.  I bought a bunch - I have every weekend since then.  You can't take money with you, you can't enjoy the flowers at your funeral.  Buy them now, enjoy them while you can.    

What do you deny yourself because it costs money, that you could enjoy if you wanted to?      

8 comments:

  1. My mother didn't like fresh flowers because she loved plants and flowers too much and hated to see them die in a vase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too always have cut flowers in the house. More photos of your house please

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of a friend who told me after their mother died, that she had kept the front room (parlour) only for special occasions, and similarly a set of table linen, cutlery etc. None of it ever got used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fresh flowers in the house. I always have at least one vase somewhere in the house. I get a different breed every week. I also live near woods, so wildflowers abound. I can easily pick those as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots. This midwestern trait happens all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really likes your blog and You have shared the whole concept really well. and Very beautifully soulful read! thanks for sharing.
    ตารางคะแนน

    ReplyDelete