Saturday, February 11, 2017

A Blast from my Past



This was my first post card job, back in the mid 1970's. Over 4-5 yeas I earned enough money as a photographer to buy a bag full of professional cameras.  My "by-line" is on the back of this card, I took the photographs and contracted for the printing.  I did three or four postcard jobs over a period of a couple of years. I also did some "catalog shoots."  I did a couple of weddings, I hated shooting weddings.    

The cowboy on the roof was very cute - nice eyes, a pleasant smile, and he knew how to wear a pair of jeans! He made a pass at me a couple of times, but I was to naive and scared to do anything. 

What I really enjoyed was aerial photography.  Dad would fly and I would take the pictures, most were custom ordered images of farms or businesses.

After a few years I stopped taking pictures professionally.  I was driving myself nuts finding imperfections in my work, and worrying that people were paying for my mistakes. People were thrilled with the images, but I could always find ways I could make it better.  If I knew then, what I know now, few things in life are perfect, beauty sometimes lies in the imperfections of life.  

I stumbled across this postcard in a box of old photographs, a real blast from my distant past. 

What did you do for fun a profit in your teens? 

2 comments:

  1. In my teens I had my own lawn care business at one point taking care of 15 lawns myself. In college it was morphed into my own cleaning business for homes and offices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work as a photographer you need to focus on places. cheapest parking gatwick
    gatwick chauffeur parking

    ReplyDelete