Sunday, February 26, 2017

Five Questions to Avoid my Idea of Hell on Earth


Another Hell on Earth, a bus load of children having breakfast in the hotel one morning. 

So I was recently in Florida watching and waiting for mom to die.  She was a tough old bird, hanging on and exceeding everyone's dire prediction.  As someone told me, "breathing is an old habit and some people find it hard to break."  I have a theory, mom was always the first one ready to go, and she waited impatiently for others to get ready to go.  Karma has saved up all of those minutes and gave them to her at the end of her life, while the rest of us sat and waited for the inevitable.  

She was been unable for some time to communicate, or even change the channel on the TV.  One of the things we failed to ask her when she could communicate was do you want to watch on TV or what music do you want to listen to, when you can't tell us what you want.  So the family is guessed.  Resulting in my version of hell on earth, watching endless reruns of Property Brothers on HGTV. 

So five questions to offer some guidance for your loved ones when you can't communicate. 

If you couldn't communicate what would you want:

1: What music do you want to listen to?
2: Do you want the television on, and if so what kinds of programming? 
3: Do you want to lie in bed, or be propped up in a comfy chair? 
4: Who do you want to come visit you? 
5: What pets, (living or inanimate) do you want to spend time with?

My answers: 
 1: What music do you want to listen to?
      Jimmy Buffet has written the sound track of my life, or anything new age instrumental, also the play list on my phone is a good starting point.  
2: Do you want the television on, and if so what kinds of programming? 
     Turn off the TV.  
3: Do you want to lie in bed, or be propped up in a comfy chair?
     Comfy chair, 
4: Who do you want to come visit you?
      Sweet bear and selected bloggers 
5: What pets, (living or inanimate) do you want to spend time with?
      The flocks, sheep and larger penguins 



4 comments:

  1. 1: What music do you want to listen to? As much as I love classical, I'd want it to be House music....so as I drift off I could remember being on the dance floor, filled with men and friends, remembering the fun days of my antics.

    2: Do you want the television on, and if so what kinds of programming? off.
    3: Do you want to lie in bed, or be propped up in a comfy chair? Where I do most of my good work....in bed!!!

    4: Who do you want to come visit you? If I partner again, then them, otherwise I want to die alone with my memories and then tell Ms. Moorecock she can burn the pink papers, so the smoke will flow up the chimney to tell all.

    5: What pets, (living or inanimate) do you want to spend time with? Mostly like my current pet, who or whatever that may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, and good food for thought. My partner knows all of these answers, but should he predecease me (nooooo!) I'll have to write things down so close family know my thoughts, should I be unable to express them.


    1. Classical plus rock, but I'm picky, so I guess I'd need to leave a list. Sigh.
    2. Some British sitcoms and panel shows that make me laugh like a drain, otherwise leave it off. Maybe the ABC news. (Australian)
    3. Propped up in bed, but on my side to keep my chronic back pain at bay.
    4. Apart from darling partner, close family and friends. Hell anyone who wants to really.
    5. None. Although i adore all cats and dogs, I'm actually allergic to them, which means my actual contact with our beloved cats is minimal, and I must change my clothes and have a wash after any cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1: classical
    2: OFF! no idiot box allowed!
    3: propped up in a comfy chair
    4: spouse and all my blog friends
    5: my cats

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1: I'm a sucker for great lyrics, so something that speaks volumes set to music for me.
    2: PBS.
    3: I think a comfy chair.
    4: Carlos, our furry kids, friends, family, and anyone who wnats to visit.
    5: All of them past and present.

    ReplyDelete