Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Travel Tuesdays - Live Demonstrations


Artisans, craftspersons, farmers, chefs, I love watching them work.  Historic sites sometimes have live demonstrations of how things were done, metalsmiths,  spinners, weavers, broom making, furniture, historic farming making are all fascinating to watch. 

They are also often a financial loss for the venue, the cost of the demonstrations far exceeds the value of what is produced.  The glass blower working in a demonstration shop, produces less at the same cost as a glassblower working in the back room without the distraction of an audience.  So we see fewer of them.  When we lived in Kentucky nearby Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill, had a thriving demonstration program, until a new director mandated that they had to pay their way or go.  The last time I was there one craftsman was working.  Sad that.  

Non-profit does not mean free to operate, or exempt from the economic realities of the world.  That is why there are admission fees, memberships, fundraisers, and why it does really help when you buy that paper weight that was hand made there on site.  Yet it would be 1/3 that price - made in China - sold at the souvenir shop around the corner.  But the difference makes a difference in the artists being able to show their craft and entertain.   


9 comments:

  1. I enjoy seeing artisans at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday I would like to try my hand at weaving

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4/26/2022

    Wisely said. I thought the photo was of you wielding a heavy hammer in such a masculine manner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd need a bigger hammer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like the handmade stuff, and seeing how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can watch others work for hours.

      Delete
  5. You make a good point about buying the handmade souvenirs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a while since I've seen one at work. The last I think was a candle maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That can be an interesting smell when they are using beeswax

      Delete