Wednesday, April 13, 2022

The Way We Were Wednesday - Istachatta Florida


 Sometime in the early 1960's my grandparents started snowbirding, going south from Michigan (as Spo describes it the land of perpetual snow and ice) to Florida in the winters.  My grandfather worked for Ford for over 30 years, then left in the late 1950's to move to the farm and keep bees. Bees in Michigan are a seasonal farming operation.  There was no reason for them to stay in the snow in the winter (my parents started doing the same thing when I was in the 8th grade.). 

They bought a newly built one-bedroom house in a fishing village called Istachatta on the Withlacoochee River (Google it, it is a real place.) When I say a one-bedroom, the first year they were there they added on, adding a bathroom and eliminating the out-house that had been build with the house. (Before zoning and building codes.) It was an escape, a second home. They spent winters there together for about 15 years. It was there one winter that my grandmother came to the realization that my grandfather had dementia. After my grandfather died, my grandmother spent one or two winters there alone, then sold and moved across the state to where my parents had bought their retirement home. When she bought the house in Titusville, she remarked that it was the fourth house she had owned, and the first one that had an indoor bathroom when she bought it (two of them.) 

That little house was my first experience in Florida.   

11 comments:

  1. Instachatta sounds like it should be some kind of a social media site...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how the original population communicated across distances?

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4/13/2022

    It's a cute little house. So you remember the place then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We visited there when I was in my teens, so yes.

      Delete
  3. There's a lot to be said for snowbirding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kept me out of the snow and ice for a few winters.

      Delete
  4. That's a cute little house, well, except for the littler house out back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someplace in the slide collection is a photo of my sister and I playing in the sand, out back, where the septic tank had been installed.

      Delete
  5. It's a nice looking little house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was simple and comfortable. A little small.

      Delete
  6. Istachatta on the Withlacoochee. Sounds like Dr. Seuss... or a rash.

    ReplyDelete