Friday, April 15, 2022

Fabulous Friday - Food Alchemy


Real men make quiche. Recently I was bored, looked in the fridge, I had a couple of dozen eggs, cream, a lightly smoked very lean bacon, forbidden cheddar, mushrooms, we always have butter in the freezer, the perfect cold day to make quiche. 

The pastry was a variation on Mary Berry's grated frozen butter, flour, salt, a little cold water and an egg.  Americans don't usually put an egg in pastry, it works.  Pastry is really alchemy.  You mix together simple ingredients and make something devine.  

The filling was 7 eggs, a chunk of grated forbidden cheddar, onions, mushrooms and bacon lightly fried, a dash of heavy cream.  

I blind baked the pastry for about 20 minutes at about 400 degrees F, then added the filling and baked at about 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, turned the oven down to 300 F for another 25 minutes. 

It was good, very good.  

 

15 comments:

  1. And I bet the Forbidden Cheddar was the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quiche. My aunt and a friend had a company called Love and Quiches. There was a lot of that at any party she hosted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygosh...that crust looks fabulous! What fun to put together something that turns out good, very good. Cheese sure bumps up the flavor game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple ingredients, and tasty

      Delete
  4. You had me at bacon and cheddar!
    Looks dee-lish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to go wrong with good bacon and cheese. The bacon is made locally, $15 pound and well worth it.

      Delete
  5. I love a good quiche...and a good man who makes them :-)

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when you are in town, I'll cook

      Delete
  6. That looks and sounds delicious. I do love a good quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't love quiche at all! Maybe I've never had a good one, huh? The texture gags me. It looks good, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting point, what is it, a custard with vegies?

      Delete