Tuesday, April 05, 2022

Travel Tuesday : Athens


 We flew to and from Athens on different itineraires.  I was flying on frequent flyer miles, Sweet Bear on a purchased ticket.  We only had one flight that were on the same flight, Athens to New York.  Going over I had much better connections, and arrived in Athens several hours ahead of Sweet Bear.  Coming back, I should have had better connections, but when my connecting flight in New York went to push back from the gate, the pilot forgot to release the brakes and things broke.  I missed another connection, ended up in a Taxi for the last 90 miles of the trip at the airlines expense. 

Greece was warm, inviting, fun, and fascinating.  I would go back any time.  

12 comments:

  1. What a shame you couldn't have flown together. Would have made the trip and that 90 drive more....sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My flight from NY to Athens, I slept 6 hours!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4/05/2022

    Was this very recently? "Pilot forgot to release the brakes". How did you find that out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 15 year ago, and the pilot explained why things broke.

      Delete
  3. I love the ease of airline travel, but when it screws up it really goes wrong.

    Ninety miles in a taxi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They offered the option of a hotel for the night and a flight the next morning, or a taxi ride.

      Delete
  4. Good thing the airline was paying for that taxi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even at their special rate if was over $100.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed Greece because I'm sure 90 miles in a taxi was not much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taxi ride is a story in itself. I was glad to be home, by bag arrived the next morning.

      Delete
  6. Too bad you couldn’t fly together. Can’t believe the pilot forgot to release the brake! That instills confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a few pilot stories

    ReplyDelete