Monday, September 07, 2020

My Music Monday: "The Girl from Ipanema" Astrud Gilberto, João Gilberto and Stan Getz

My one and only Uncle Richard, was young at heart, he was about 10 years younger than my parents, but had much more modern taste.  A visit to my Aunt and Uncle's house on the lake always exposed me to something I never heard or saw at home.  His taste in music included Jazz and early Rock and Roll.  I remember hearing this for the first time in their airy living room overlooking Dollar Bay on the back side of Lake Orion.  It transported me to far away places, I had and have never been to.  I own it on CD, it is on the playlist in the convertible.   

What music transports you to far away places, you have never been? 




13 comments:

  1. For me, still possibly the best version of this song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/07/2020

    I don't know really. Maybe Caribbean music. It is somewhere I haven't been and now will never visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've missed watching the sunrise over the oil refinery in Freeport harbour.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9/08/2020

      I am guessing I meant Ipanema, though I am sure Freeport Harbour is a fine body of water.

      Delete
  3. classical music, like beethoven and mozart. have never been to germany or austria (yet).

    THIS is the BEST version of this song; the short version leaves a bad taste. and the portuguese and english translations do not match up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Austria is amazing, but there are no Kangaroos.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9/08/2020

      Austria is amazing and where much of our mail posted from overseas travels via.

      Delete
  4. I remember that song very well. I loved it. I think I have too many to name. I tended to be drawn to artists no one had ever heard of. A singer who went by the name "Black" comes to mind. I love his music to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So Rare" by the T & J Dorsey Orchestra.
    "Al Di La" by Emelio Pericoli
    I don't question where they take me ... I just close my eyes and go along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me think: is there music that takes me somewhere I have never been?
    My first reaction is to say no, all music takes me to place I have been, as a memory
    I will ponder this some more.

    ReplyDelete