Friday, September 25, 2020

A Fleeting Moment


 I walked to the end of the trail one morning, and this beautiful bird was wading not 10 feet away, almost too close for the lens I carry.  I snapped a few quick images, and a couple with a dog walked up behind me and said "good morning" and the dog went woof and the bird was off.  They apologized for scaring the bird, I assured them it was okay.  It was a chance encounter, the bird was unlikely to stay there long no matter what.  Birds like people, are a fleeting moment in time.  Here one moment, gone on the next.  There was a time when I would have been angry that someone scared my bird, but he/she was never my bird.  I just happened for a fleeting moment to be in the birds proximity.  I was lucky to have those few moments close and alone.  When I am walking the trail, and I see someone stopped, looking through a camera or binoculars, I will slow or stop at a distance, approach silently.  A couple of times I have seen extraordinary things by being quiet.  The couple with the dog, pointed out the beaver a day or two later. I need to remember to thank them for that, I never would have noticed him without their telling me about him. 

What has been the fleeting moment in your life recently?  


19 comments:

  1. The moments you speak of " I was lucky to have those few moments close and alone" are the best and many don't get to /or take the time to enjoy nature. My fleeting moments are the fox at home. But got very close to many deer here in the Pocono's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen or heard our neighborhood fox in months.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9/25/2020

    First to mind is having a butcher bird sit on our balcony railing and hearing its wonderful song. Take care if you look up the aptly named butcher bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warning, I can only imagine what that google search might bring up.

      Delete
  3. Too many I'm sure to come up with one. But now I'm singing the song from Into the Woods! ¨Let the moment go. Don't forget for a moment though...¨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to Google, I found it, Show Tunes! Modern show tunes.

      Delete
  4. My first comment didn't ¨take¨! The moments remind of the song from Into the Woods: ¨Let the moment go. Don't forget it for a moment, though¨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always fun when this happens. It is great hearing from you again.

      Delete
  5. when you witness the sun rise/set, or see a rainbow, or watch the groundhog that lives under your sunporch come out to eat. lovely waterbird pix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was awake early one morning and went down to the river to watch the sunrise.

      Delete
  6. I'm headed out for a walk this morning so maybe I'll have a fleeting moment myself. Beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last Arizona moment was a roadrunner

      Delete
  7. My first compliment from my Director after 2 years in my Management Position. It was fleeting - Bat DAMN! - it felt good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too thought it a tender and loving prose. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, at times I can make this work

      Delete