Monday, August 14, 2017

Lots Going On


What is happening? 
I am back in the office, getting caught up, trying to finish a project that is months behind, pulling together the details on a national conference for the end of October, writing materials for said conference, writing materials for a conference in November in California (with a stop in Phoenix on the way out there.)  

I am headed back to Florida later this month, the trip is on my calendar as "check on dad," it is actually going to be get the house on the market, transfer the car to my brother, and chase loose ends. 

I am headed to Florida again a couple of weeks after that.  I have hired an estate sale firm to clean out and sell the contents of the house, anything the four of us kids want, we have to have out of the house by September 3rd, they sell everything that is not nailed down.  I am flying in for the last day of the sale and the clean up that follows.  

I have made plans for early October, we are going to Michigan for graveside services and internment of Mom and Dad.  

I am starting to sort through the complicated parts of settling the estate, I succeeded at getting a bank account opened in the name of the estate.  Now to run the gauntlet of stock registry services.  

I am taking a little time along the way to work through the loss. I thought that dad's death would be harder than mom, both of them in less than six months - well is it harder than I expected. My differed mourning for mom, is now stacked with dad. Acknowledging that is a good sign. 

What's happening in your world? 

7 comments:

  1. What's happening in my world? Something rather wonderful.

    Forty-five years ago I gave birth to a baby boy, and was obliged to give him up for adoption, since his shit of a father ran out on me and I was too young and unskilled to manage on my own. My parents were supportive,but didn't want me to live there, since they didn't want my 9 year old sister to know about it.

    Anyway, my darling son has just tracked me down 3 weeks ago and I am like a different person! He is a fine human being, and so is his wife.
    So, you asked...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful, I am not sure what to say,

      Delete
    2. Rozzie: So sorry for what you had to go through all those years ago... and ever since. But SO happy for you now!

      Delete
  2. Thinking of you as you deal with all the bureaucracy on top of the loss. Given your profession, you probably know much better what needs to be done. We had a huge learning curve. Things still aren't settled, but we had guardianship to deal with first. As always, my heart is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. work, spouse operation next week, a visit with mistress maddie the end of the month...nothing too exciting, just life on the fly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, David and Mitchell.

    David, I'm sorry - I got so tied up in myself that I completely forgot to say that I feel for you with what you are going through in dealing with your parents' estates on top of their mourning their losses. Makes me realise I perhaps should have given more assistance to my lawyer sister when she dealt with our parents estates.

    Anyway, just know you are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hardly half of what you are doing. Please pace yourself.

    ReplyDelete