Wednesday, April 08, 2020

The Way We Were Wednesday - Ferries


I don't recall my father every taking his car on a ferry when I was traveling with him, but the picture above is my mother and what is most likely my oldest brother on a ferry.  I remember my father talking about the sandpiper-gold car with the two tone paint, very early 1950's, I think it was the first new car my father ever owned.  

On our recent adventure we crossed from Ireland to Wales by ferry.  When I booked it, I wondered about the weather, a couple of weeks before we traveled there was video online of ferries trying to enter the port of Dublin in 60 knot winds and high seas.  We had wonderful weather on the outbound crossing, and good weather on the return, a little windy but still a very comfortable crossing. 

Any idea what the car above is? 


14 comments:

  1. no idea on the car. I've taken the cape may-lewes ferry, and the hatteras-ocracoke ferry, and the hovercraft between england and france.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did three out in Washington state last summer

      Delete
    2. ex-husband and I never did the WA ferries; we drove places.

      Delete
  2. My guess would be on old Mercury... But otherwise...this one is out of my jurisdiction kid. Cool pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I scanned all of Dad's slides.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4/08/2020

    We went the other way, Wales to Ireland and the trip was ok. It was windy and a bit wet but the sea was calm enough. I will guess a Dodge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delightful on the way over, and windy but manageable on the way back.

      Delete
  4. No idea what kind of car, but it sure is beautiful. I love ferries and SG and I have gone on many (although he's not a fan of boats... seasickness). Until the Verrazano Bridge was built in 1964 we would drove from Long Island and then took the ferry from Brooklyn to Staten Island every year. It was to take my grandparents to visit dead relatives at a cemetery there. But it was a major adventure for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my oldest brother was a toddler my parents visited NYC a couple of times, this could be in that area, very early 1950's.

      Delete
  5. If you don't guess wrong,
    your parent's car is a WV type car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most likely a ford or an Oldsmobile

      Delete
  6. I don't know from cars, but it sure is purty! Looks a bit like Iron Man's helmet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very set in the post war years.

      Delete
  7. I grew up on the Great Lakes we often took ferries to this and that place. I like them.

    ReplyDelete