Saturday, April 11, 2020

Blown Away at Clonmacnoise



Clonmacnoise is south of Athlone in Ireland.  It is the site of a monastery dating back to about 544, a very, very long time.  We had difficulty finding it, Ms. Garmin drove us right past it, the signs are only visible if you are coming the opposite direction from the way we were driving. The narrow, hilly, winding roads, were starting to get to me, I nearly gave up.  I am glad we didn't.  The rain stopped, the clouds cleared, the wind was blowing about 40 miles per hour. I had a hard time standing in the open against the wind.  The ruins are amazing, I was blown away in more ways than one.  By the time we left, it had started to rain again, if you don't like the weather in Ireland, wait 30 minutes, it will change.  

  

14 comments:

  1. Not to be morbid, but would that be a lovely place to be buried, right next to the water way there. I love touring cemeteries. Here in Philly, I couple times a year, I like to walk Laurel Hill Cemetery....simply stunning place, especially in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 544 eh? it doesn't look a day over 543! HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parts of it are in better shape than I am

      Delete
  3. That wind made for some crisp clear skies for photos. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue skies were rare on that trip

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4/11/2020

    Much like our weather here today. Blue skies to heavy showers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen weather so changeable. It was easy to see why Ireland is green.

      Delete
  5. As much as I used to love running around in cemeteries, this one just depresses me. Maybe it's the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very old, the modern section is down the hill.

      Delete
  6. I think this is the best part of sight-seeing: determination to find something off the road and marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the cow paths I drove down on this trip.

      Delete
  7. Your first photo is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a very easy place to take good photos.

      Delete