Wednesday, September 25, 2019

The Way We Were Wednesday

Walt Disney World opened October 1, 1971, my family visited for the first time in February 1972.  I was in my early teens.  I snapped this image with a Kodak Instamatic from the tramway between Frontier Land and Tomorrow Land.  As I recall the ticket were around $10 per person, my father was appalled at the cost.  I don't think any of us truly understood the long term cultural impact that WDW would have on central Florida. Orlando went from a sleepy little citrus town, to home for millions of people. (I spent 15 years tearing out orange groves and building houses in the Orlando area.)  

Six years later my middle brother went to work for Disney, he still works there.  

I have been there at least 100 times over the years. I bought an annual pass for several years, I have been there for private after hours parties, I have been backstage to photograph the rehearsal areas with John Williams conducting and orchestra, and Rock Hudson narrating (I should see if I can find the negatives from that experience,) I have been down the length of the tunnel that runs under Main Street. 

To some extent, WDW is a "been there, done that" experience for me.  But still the place has a magic about it.  I went with my brother last March, I am glad I made reservations for lunch, the food was good and the service was great.  

5 comments:

  1. I have never been there, but hit DisneyLAND regularly. All my East Coast friends told me DisneyWORLD was so much better. True?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two are different, kind of like your two cats are different. I like both.

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's easy. Dudo. No Moose. No Dudo. Both?

      Delete
  2. visited once in 1978, not impressed, too damn hot, too many damn bugs. I'd rather have the oranges. they DO know how to market the concept though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of stinky tourists also.

      Delete