Thursday, August 22, 2019

Coastal Defenses

I remember the first time I saw remains of World War II coastal defenses, in Normandy.  A big part of why I had gone there (that and Mt St Michelle.) I was surprised to see them on the Pacific Coast of the United States.  I imagine there were fortifications or gun emplacements along the Atlantic coast of the US, but I have never seen them.  This was along the strait that separates the US and British Columbia,  on a little sand hill across from the beach.  Rusting away into a distant memory.  Further west we saw a massive concrete bunker, made to last, I will post more pictures of that one day.  

Notice the odd little dark spot just above the dune line near the right hand side of the image?  I picked up a bit of fluff on the image sensor censor in my camera.  It took me a while to track it down, and figure out how to lock the mirror up so I could carefully clean the sensor.  A first for everything.  


4 comments:

  1. if you travel down highway 12 to the outer banks towns of NC, you will see concrete bunkers like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to go there some day. There a German sub buried in the sand just north of the space center, when the waves wash the sand off of it, it is reburried.

      Delete
  2. I was surprised to learn when we lived in Santa Barbara that, during WWII, there was a submarine attack on the coast in our little town. Apparently that attack was a key factor in the decision to intern Japanese-Americans. Knee-jerks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. West coast attacks were kept quiet. No one recognized the flaw in the logic, the people in the camps, had nothing to do with the attack.

      Delete