How am I doing? Busy! And Learning.
I agreed to present on a couple of workshops at the National Aging and Law Conference at Syracuse University in early October. The written materials and PowerPoints are due the end of the month. I have been trying to coordinate with co-presenters and get those finished and in on time. I produced that conference a dozen times and I know how important it is that speakers finish the materials on time as requested. I am well on schedule, by spending an hour or two each day working on those.
I agreed to chair a policy committee for the Senior Lawyers Division, and we have been asked to advocate for protection against discrimination based biomarker test results. A week ago I had no idea what a biomarker was. So step one was learning, lots of learning. Then contemplating a strategy. Then starting drafting. I reached out to a couple of friends, who graciously shared very helpful resources with me. The next conference call is on Friday, I will have a partial draft to send out by mid-week. Again, I am busy, but productive. And I am learning.
My last science class was in about 1990. The most important thing I learned in that class, was how to learn about topics I knew nothing about. The research skills developed in undergrad are still serving me well many years later.
I am working steadily, and a few hours a day. Making good progress, and overall staying busy.

The resources for researching online are unbelievable. I doubt there is anything you can't learn about online, including how to become a terrorist.
ReplyDeleteMay I ask how such things as the National Aging and Law Conference are funded?
Registration fees and sponsorship from businesses and foundations.
DeleteWorking like you are and keeping busy is good in retirement. I have seen so many of my mothers friends do nothing. And they are all no longer with us. And my own father last about 9 years into retirement....
ReplyDeleteUse it or lose it.
DeleteLifelong learning enhances and enriches all stages of life. Back in the day, I took classes for professional reasons. Now in retirement, I learn for personal reasons. Stay curious!
ReplyDeleteThe ability to learn, is one of the elements of cognitive health.
DeleteI just had a friend mine ask me about my retirement and I said I didn't know when I would do it, and she said, "But you're retired now, aren't?"
ReplyDeleteAnd I thought maybe I am; I don't work full-time; I go into work just three days a week and do a little bit of work at home.
Maybe I'm semi-retired and I didn't know it!
With the exception of a consulting project or two each year, I am no longer paid for the work that I do.
DeleteThere are always new things to learn and it feels good to learn them.
ReplyDeleteAs long as we are learning, we are alive.
DeleteI was talking about college students and research just the other day. Quite often now, some will just look it up with AI and copy and paste into their paper or test. They aren't really "learning" it, though. Finding more research sites and writing or typing your findings, helps one fix it in their memory and it will be remembered and learned.
ReplyDeleteOnline resources make research so much faster, buy you still need to read the source material and put it in your own words
DeleteHave fun and enjoy the satisfaction of helping your profession!
ReplyDeleteTrying to make the world a better place
DeleteOh dear David! Everybody knows what a "biomarker" is! It's an indelible marker pen that you use to tag laundry items. Even biological washing powder will not erase it.
ReplyDeleteThat could be a good answer
DeleteSounds healthy, but not the kind of retirement I could handle. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteMaybe more than I should be doing
Delete