Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Travel Tuesday: Indianapolis Motor Speeday

The Museum at the Speedway - It has finished a massive update

The Pagoda









Jim Rathmann was the Chevrolet dealer to the stars, he leased cars to astronauts for $1 a month, most of them selected Corvettes. 









Drivers Start your engines






 

15 comments:

  1. Wow! What a terrific collection of many fascinating cars. I'd love to see the museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The remodel has really improved the displays.

      Delete
  2. The PNC car brought back memories of when PNC purchased National City Bank and its mortgage company where my husband worked and then was let go. The ugliness of that purchase led to a new path that was so much better than if he had stayed there. Sometimes you have to wallow through a pile of sh*t to find that new sweet smelling spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mortgage industry has been through some complicated transitions.

      Delete
  3. Those cars look so fragile. We watch Formula One and pieces start flying off with the slightest bumps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Formula One was easier to watch here.

      Delete
  4. That looks like a great museum with lots and lots to see and admire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like the Indianapolis 500 had quite a grip on the public imagination when I was a kid, but I don't hear about it much anymore. Maybe I'm just not talking to the right people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In England it is very much overshadowed by Formula One. In the US the broadcast rights have gone to Fox, and the schedule is hard to follow. F1 never really attracted the audience in the US, and the US tends to not be as involved in global sports.

      Delete
  6. I like the look of the old cars set against the newer rocket ship looking ones! To think those old cars were the speedsters of their day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember into the late 60s and early 70s when the cars were handbuilt, with modified production engines. Today there only a couple of approved chassis builders and two engine providers, the technical inspections make it impossible to do the one-off engineering of the past.

      Delete
  7. I need took an interest into racing or race cars..but some of the drivers is another story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was Tony with the great nose.

      Delete
  8. Looks like an exceptional place for aficionados. I have never gotten into auto racing. I had a friend from Indy who lived for it

    ReplyDelete