Sunday, November 27, 2016

If I Knew Then, What I Know Now


I turned 18 the week before I started my senior year of high school.  Not totally unusual, a result of my Phoenix adventure in the first year of the first grade - but that is another story.  One of the unique things for an American turning 18 when I did, the legal drinking age was 18.  One of my high school teachers taught me how to enjoy Scotch. So to stretch the Sunday imagination, I am going to have my 58 year old self interview my 18 year old self.  

1: What is the biggest surprise about the way I have turned out? 
2: Why didn't you go directly into college when you had the chance? 
3: So, at 58 I have a husband, how does my 18 year old self feel about that? 
4: I have lived in 4 states since I turned 18, how does my 18 year old self feel about all of moving around?  Where did you imagine you would be at this age? 
5: What advice does an 18 year old me have for this 58 year old me. 

For all questions - adjust to current age as appropriate. For question #3, adjust as needed for your personal relationship.

My answers: 

1: What is the biggest surprise about the way I have turned out? A law degree, really? At 18 you had only ever met one lawyer and he didn't impress you. At 18 I didn't think you had it in you to earn this much education.  

2: Why didn't you go directly into college when you had the chance? 
My 18 year old self lacked courage, belief in self and role models.  I was aimless and rather depressed.  

3: So, at 58 I have a husband, how does my 18 year old self feel about that? 
Oh thank-gwad you finally came to your senses.  The opportunities for fun you passed up or shied away from as a teenager, it you had known then what you know now, you would have had so much fun. 

4: I have lived in 4 states since I turned 18, how does my 18 year old self feel about all of moving around?  Where did you imagine you would be at this age? 
Wanderlust was instilled by your upbringing, what had kept you from living other places that you have fantasized about living?  

5: What advice does an 18 year old me have for this 58 year old me. 
Don't waste so much energy on meaningless little stuff.  And most of it is little stuff, will anyone care next year? If not, why care now? 

6 comments:

  1. If I could give myself some advice it would be "ignore Hinckley United"

    ReplyDelete
  2. age 62 interviewing age 18

    1: What is the biggest surprise about the way I have turned out? - that you survived an abusive home/school environment and cancer. and that you take no shit from ANYONE.

    2: Why didn't you go directly into college when you had the chance? - I did, but I really wanted to go to paralegal school and could not afford it on my own. and since my sperm and egg donors were footing the bill...

    3: So, at 62 I have a husband, how does my 18 year old self feel about that? - I think you should have stayed single.

    4: I have lived in 3 states since I turned 18, how does my 18 year old self feel about all of moving around? Where did you imagine you would be at this age? - I had no fucking clue about life back then.

    5: What advice does the 18 year old me have for the 62 year old me? - stay single, travel, don't waste money on junk, have confidence in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating questions and great answers. I was an entirely different person at 18 - - sometimes it's alarming to think of it. I'm sure I can safely say that we ALL like ourselves better now - with much of the tedious experience behind us...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 18... the proverbial best of times, worst of times. My 18-year old self would be amazed to see me now. Very little of what is now was in the plan then. I like now better, a lot better. Unless I'm mistaken, that's a pic of me above, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was fun reading.

    ReplyDelete