We all struggle with this. The richest people in the world, continue to mound up wealth, out of an irrational fear of going broke. They continue to work - when their time could be focused on making the world a better place. They are somehow convinced that their role in the world is to stack up riches and that somehow will make everything okay, while secretly fearing that they will screw it all up and end up with nothing. I am far from the richest man in the world, but I let the same irrational fear that I am going to somehow screw it all up, stand in the way of my enjoying what I have, and what I can do with it while I am here to make the world a better place. I am the problem.
I am - well to be honest an aging fat man. I am fat and lumpy in ways that I fear others will judge me for. In truth, others won't notice me most of the time, and if they do, they will forget what I look like, at the next passing beefcake. And yet, unless I ignore this, I let it limit my enjoyment of life. Go to the pool, go to the beach, take that cruise. If they don't like the view, they will look away. The problem is not the judgement of others, it is me.
One of my favorite sayings is be creative, make an ass of yourself, who cares? Usually the only person who cares is you. We are the problem, we take ourselves far too seriously.

I am my own biggest critic and problem.
ReplyDeleteBe kind, be brave, be fearless.
DeleteI’m pretty confident I can manage kind.
DeleteThe amassing for material and riches I never got. And why? if you don't do any good with it, then what? You can't take it with you.
ReplyDeleteI'm a jokester. I never take my self seriously.
Enjoy each day,
DeleteI feel like the wealthy continue to want more and more money because, to them, it's a contest. Whomever dies with the most money is the winner ...except they're dead!
ReplyDeleteI'm an ass, some of the time, and I'm good with that. I like it.
Never let being an ass stand in your way.
DeleteI don't see an aging fat man.You are an intelligent, adventurous, witty, creative cooking, kind-hearted man who helped so many people in your career and are now inspiring many others in your retirement.
ReplyDeleteOh, thank you. I am kinda round.
DeleteAnother wise post!
ReplyDeleteThank you,
DeleteI used to be more self-conscious and insecure when I was younger but now I really don't care much about what other people think. It's relaxing and freeing to just be me.
ReplyDeleteBeing at home in our own skin.
DeleteSo true. Thanks for reminding me.
ReplyDeleteSo often I get in my own way.
Delete