Saturday, November 02, 2019

DC Then and Now

Way back in about 1978 my grandmother and I visited Washington DC, for both of us it was our first time.  She had been widowed just a couple of years, and had decided that she wanted to see places she had never seen.  She didn't feel comfortable driving long distances alone, so my middle brother or I would drive her in her car.  

She tired easily, so much of DC was a slow drive in the craziest traffic I had ever seen.  Early one morning I found a parking space near the Lincoln Memorial and we climbed the steps, up and down, she was quiet most of the rest of the day, nodding off in the car, it was a bit much for her.  We walked around Mt. Vernon.  The guard at Arlington Cemetery gave us a parking pass and let us drive around the grounds (I think today you have arrange that in advance - we just drove up.) There was very little security in DC at that time.  

I came back in the summer of 1991.  Drove into the city and stayed at the Holiday Inn near the Air and Space museum.  I walked the city, and saw everything I could.  At that time you could walk in any door in the Capital, and ride the underground subway between the capital and the congressional office buildings, no security, no metal detectors.  Today there are lots of metal detectors, and a lot of the underground passageways are off limits.  You can't wander around the capital at will, guided tours only today. (Unless you are a part of a congressional hearing in the capital, I did that once.)  

In 1991 I stood in line near the White House and picked up tickets for a same day tour.  Today you have to apply weeks in advance, supply information for a background check and hope and pray that you are granted permission for a tour of the White House (not that I would want to tour with the present occupant.) 

All of the museums now have visible security, many require you pass through a metal detector and have your belongings x-rayed.  Security at most federal office buildings makes a visit unpleasant at best, and sometimes simply impossible (if the person who invited you accidentally leaves you name off the list.) 

There are more museums today, virtually all of them free. Parking and traffic are as insane as ever.  Security is the most noticeable change.  

Have you been here? 


11 comments:

  1. My first time was probably when I was 8 or 9. Saw the new JFK gravesite. Security was nonexistent. Museums were a breeze. Then we lived there in the 80s and there were obvious changes. But 2 years ago I was amazed by the difference. So much more to see. And there was plenty to see in the 60s! So many improvements. And the security... and lines... and reservations required for some places. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some good changes, some - not so.

      Delete
  2. Having lived in Maryland and Virgina for the better part of 11 years I had numerous opportunities to see the sites along the Mall. My best memory was a midnight guided tour walking down the Washington Monument where the park service guide pointed out the various stones donated by the states and various civic organizations around the country. I also have video footage of the cherry blossoms one early morning in April during the Clinton Administration. I used the Metro system whenever possible, and drove around the District infrequently. Never bothered with any sites which requires waiting in lines or advanced reservations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a not of pretty here. I last drove the office on May 4, 2015.

      Delete
  3. DC has never been car friendly; bikes & metro & feet are the best ways to get around. lived there 1977-1999 and was glad to get the hell out. would never live there again even if you paid me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it here, and sooner or later the big orange stain will fade away.

      Delete
  4. Nope. Plans to visit? Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our family visited in 1954 when I was four, and I remember Mount Vernon. I went back in the mid-1970s with my boyfriend, and all I remember of it was a visit to Ford's Theatre.

    I was there the last time in the summer of 1997 to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday. It was beastly hot, but we walked the Mall, viewing all of the memorials. I spent three hours alone at the Holocaust Museum. The four of us ate in the Smithsonian dining room (our birthday friend was a member), and we spent quick a bit of time at the Library of Congress. It was a great trip, but I will try very hard never to visit again in the summer. I just can't take the heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete