There is an American Artist, who blogged when she was married to French Boy and lived in France, who is now in New Mexico, seemingly without Frenchy, who pops up in my social media feed from time to time. She has built a career as a modern artist, and talks very honestly about the traditional gallery and art league process. She is very critical of the "pay to play" entry process, of shows juried by judges who only see art as narrowly defined, and of artist's statements that sound like they are answers to an interview template. She urges artists to tell their story in their art and words, in ways that truly expose who they are. Tell the world what you were feeling, what inspired you, be different, in other words BE CREATIVE.
She urges artists to find or create opportunities to show their work, without buying into the system. Find a venue that needs art, that is run by people who are open to your art, and exhibit there. When all else fails, find a vacant space and stage your own show. A show can be anyplace. When we were in Lexington, half a dozen times a year there was an art walk, people would fill empty storefronts, empty offices, the front room of a house, a garage, even an alleyway with art for a night. They would talk about their work. Music, food, and drink were always a part of the experience (sadly I only went a couple of times.) Back in the early 1990's in Orlando, the warehouse at a glass company was converted to an art and theater showcase one Saturday evening a month. It was creative. The shows here at Arts in Montebello are open shows, if you submit it, we will show it unless it is clearly offensive. In over a year of organizing shows, we have not had anything offensive submitted. I worry that if we don't offend someone sooner or later, we are not showing enough work. Be creative, find venues that allow you so show your work.
One of the works above was inspired by a dream. The artist's statement tells about the dream and how it compelled her to get up early the next morning and paint. She sounds just a little bit crazy, and I think people can identify with that. It tells her story in a very creative way.

When the time comes, I wonder how you all will define offensive. I would love that art walk in Lexington. What’s the name of the artist you write about?
ReplyDeleteOffensive, overtly sexual, overly political, or offensive to religeons.
DeleteStill, that leaves a lot of debate.
DeleteFortunately no one has submitted anything we were worried about.
DeleteOne of our resident professionals, paints a lot of nudes, she self censors and won't send them in for our shows.
DeleteWe have several art galleries in town, and several local artists who show their works. We also have an artist's collaborative where artists can work in many different mediums and the public can watch it all happen.
ReplyDeleteI should come explore. We have a few professional artist in the community, and about 40 amatures that show with us. One thing I like, is that we will show anyone.
DeleteAs retail habits evolve, there are many empty shops in Britain's town centres. How great it would be if those redundant windows contained artworks to inject life into dead spaces. I have seen such use once or twice - but not often.
ReplyDeletea challenge to find a viable use for those spaces.
DeleteThere is an artist in town who advocates for other artists by finding places that will let them exhibit for free and then puts it out on social media to let people know. Sometimes it's just for a day, other times it's a longer timeframe. There are times when the City of Dayton allows artists to display on the sidewalk, thanks to this man. I love how you've gotten the artist community at your condo complex involved, even the 4-year old girl!
ReplyDeleteWhen you think about it hospitals, restaurants, coffee shops, often have places where local artists could show there works. National Airport has periodic calls for art.
DeleteI bet the one inspired by a dream is the woman and the jaguar -- good dream! (and painting!)
ReplyDeleteSpot on, here is her commentary:
DeleteThis painting is based on a dream I had last month. I was walking through the jungle wearing an opulent dress of spun gold, when I entered a clearing, I met a gorgeous black panther who was lounging on a tree branch. Feeling at ease and not in any danger I decided to speak to him using my new skill of animal telepathy. The conversation went very well. We introduced ourselves, I admired his ghost spots, and he my dress. At one point I exclaimed, "Wow, it's really easy to communicate with you in this way!" He responded, "Well of course it is. You were one of us in a previous life, don't you remember?" After I thought about it for a moment I said, "I don't, but it would explain a few things.." And then I woke up. The next morning I resolved to paint this dream and it's perfect timing for the Dreamscapes portion of this show!
I feel any art should be shown. Some galleries can be so picky. Like dtag there are many styles. Whose to say one art work is art and another isn't? Art and music is very varied and subjective. You may hate something but I'd find it fabulous! And the is art and music.
ReplyDeleteI so agree. I have said, if we haven't offended anyone, we need to show more.
DeleteGood idea. I wonder if the complex where I live would be interested in doing a show.
ReplyDeleteIf they have space, it is fun to organize. We have a residents email list, so we can reach most of the people that live here.
DeleteIt's great how you have set up these art exhibits and so many people participate.
ReplyDelete