Thursday, September 17, 2026

The Thursday Ramble: Sheep


We have a sizable fock of house sheep, sweet natured, fluffy, the inanimate kind of sheep. When watching video, I am often heard to say BaBas when I see sheep. I remember crossing Ireland on a train, and saying BaaBaas every time we passed a field of sheep, the elderly woman sitting across from must have thought I was daft or drunk. 

How did the sheep thing get started? 

About 20 years ago we spent a week one summer in Yorkshire. We rented a row-house in Pateley Bridge. The bedrooms were upstairs, we were in the one on the back, looking out over a meadow - with a flock of sheep in it. We could hear them in the morning, making their gentle sounds. We visited the cheese factory at Wensleydale. The parking area was a short walk from the tour, and the walk was through a meadow with the sweetest flock of sheep. These sheep had spent their entire lives with people going back and forth and stopping to sink their fingers deep into their fleece for a scratch.  Watch your step, it was a wonderful walk coming and going. Now I had never seen Wallace and Gromit so I had no idea what the connection was there. The cheese was decent - I prefer something with more age and less fruit - but the  sheep left a long lasting impression. 

If you ever come to visit, you may have to shoo a sheep off the chair. I have said it before, you don't have to be crazy to be us, but it would be easier.  

15 comments:

  1. It’s so easy to fall in love with sheep. A cousin in Norway has a collection of ceramic ones. I might have collected them, too, after seeing hers. Instead we just buy them for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetbear has been known to use the term, serial collectors.

      Delete
  2. You have sheep at your building? How cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would prefer the inanimate kind, personally, and wouldn't mind shooing them off the furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are much easier to care for and smell better than the animate variety.

      Delete
  4. That's what struck me about the English countryside too -- jeezus, sheep are EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A flock of sheep in the living room?? No problem. I'd give them a nice hug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your sheep get along well with your penguins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well, at time we wonder what they are plotting. Penguins have revolutionary minds and the sheep go along as long as there is a leader.

      Delete
  8. Don't know that much about sheep.

    ReplyDelete