I assure you, I can find things to complain about, my back hurts, it is too hot, or cold, prices are too high, but all in all, life is good.
Some of it is happenstance, being born where I was, when I was. But much of it is choices that I have made over the years. Taking a leap out of my comfort zone to take a job with a home building company in Orlando back in 1980. A year or two later driving by a Community College and thinking if I want to do better than I am today, I need to learn more, and turning in and asking how to get started. A few years after that making the move to Rollins to finish what I had started, and convincing myself that I could do it, if I really worked at it. And I did.
Joining a gym, running the first race, deciding that happiness mattered more than conforming to others expectations. Selling in Orlando and moving back north, going to law school. I remember when I started lamenting that I would be 40 when I finished law school, and my sweet bear simply saying, "do you want to be 40 with the degree, or without the degree?" And continuing to learn, reading a lot (I have finished 51 books already this year.)
Putting money away for retirement, steadily over 45 years. Buying a home, working to get it paid off. Avoiding consumer debt. Really learning to cook, not just the basics, but pretty much whatever I want. I can make.
The big bold move to come to DC. Living in a place that I wanted to live in, doing a job that I loved, even if I did work too much.
Finding ways to travel and experience north America and Europe over the years. Travel was not always easy, but in the end always worth it.
In the end, we are in a place we enjoy, living a life that is engaged and enjoyable. With luck we have a few good years left to go.

No comments:
Post a Comment