Wednesday, September 02, 2026

My World of Wonders: September 2, 2026

What have I been doing this week? Doing too much. I was asked to score grant applications on a tight deadline, written materials for a conference I am speaking at in early October were due, and I am drafting a couple of policy papers. All of these ended up needing to be done at the same time. A bit much. Oh, and I have an article to write by the end of the month. 

Where have I been this week? The treadmill, the pool, the community center, the farmers market. Target and Aldi, I simply needed to get out of the house. The library, and Mt Vernon. 

What is on the easel? Nothing. A lack of balance in my life. 

What am I reading? A book on community living for persons with disabilities, a model for de-institutionalizing older adults. 

Where should you visit this week? Your local public library. Libraries are one of the greatest resources in your community. They have something for everyone, children, young adults, middle aged adults, older adults.  They provide access to books, music, video, millions of dollars in resources available for our use. Libraries are places to learn, to be entertained, to make social connections.  We need to use libraries, or we risk losing them. 

Where have I been in this lifetime? I put together a list of airports I have flown in and out of, 86 of them. HNL, KGG, KOA, LIH, ANC, SEA, PDX, SFO, SMF, LAX,SNA,SAN,PHX,ABQ,RNO,LAS,SLC,FCA,BIS,RAP,DEN,MSP,STL,MCI,LIT,BHM,MEM,BNA,ORD,MDW,ATL,SAV,MCO,JAX,FTL,MIA,PBI, RDU, FAY, CLT, CAE, BHM, MSY, IND, CVG, CNH, CLE, DTW, FNT, TVC, PSM, BUF, JFK, LGA, EWR, PHL, BWI, DCA, IAD, RIC, RDV, HTS, LEX, SDF, BOS, PVD, SJU, KEF, DUB, GLA, LRW, LHR,AMS, CDG, MAD, FCO, FRA, MUC, FDH, VIE, LIN, ATH, YYZ, YUL,TPA, DAB. 

Where to next? 



 

12 comments:

  1. We were up in Asheville again, enjoying the cool weather and our favorite restaurant, Curate! Now we're back in the heat and I have to work the next two days before I get another five-day weekend!
    Life is actually pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two on, five off, that is a balanced schedule.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I see PHX in the group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to come back there and see a couple of people.

      Delete
  3. Hey, you are supposed to be retired and relaxing! ;) As long as you are happy and healthy, that's what counts.
    I've always been a library lover!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The busy part will be done in a day or so. One project pays enough to cover the cost of the conference I am speaking at.

      Delete
  4. No Tampa? I'm surprised! It's the world's most beautiful airport, or so say the people who run it. :) (It actually is quite nice.)

    Is that restaurant called Sexburger?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esex Burger at LGA. I flew into Tampa on my first commercial flight back in spring of 1977, I flew down to drive my grandmother home, my great-grandmother had broken a hip. Living under the flight path of MCO, it was my primary airport when I lived in Florida, and my parents were near the space center so Orlando was the closest. Oh, I flew into Daytona once.

      Delete
  5. Does that say SEXburger???

    Jimmy Buffet makes me smile just seeing his smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Nope, to long of a flight for my aging ass.

      Delete