Thursday, August 27, 2026

The Thursday Ramble: Another Trip Around the Sun

I was born a long-long time ago early in the morning on August 27th, with a thunderstorm raging through the night. My mother complained that I had kept her awake all night. The doctor had found an empty bed in the hospital and gone to sleep.  It was my Grandfather's birthday. 

I was about 7 months old when this photo was taken, it was probably my sister's birthday, she is about 19 months older than I am. On the left is my brother Gary, he is retired from Disney and lives in Orlando. In the middle at the back is my oldest brother Dale, he retired from computer systems stuff and lives near the Space Center in Florida. If all goes to plan, I will visit the two of them early next year. My sister Karen, is on mom's knee, she lives in Ft Wayne, Indiana, I went to see her last month. My parents died in 2017 about 5 months apart. (I had to check my blog to find the year.) 

I have struggled a bit to find something to say this year. 

It has been another year of evading the assassins. Another year without committing a felony. Another year without a major health crisis. A year that reminded me of the swift passage of time. Of our short time on earth. 

Another year of writing, posting to this blog, taking photographs, painting, cooking, traveling and loving. Another year with my Sweet Bear. Another year of good friends being kind to one another. A year filled with much more Joy, than sorrow.

My wishes for the coming year, I look forward to reading your blogs. Trying to entertain you on my blog. To a fair amount of travel, I already know of five trips in the works for next year. To exploring the arts. To reading and learning. I have more things than I need. My wish is for experiences and joy.  





15 comments:

  1. And here's to many more trips around the sun! Happy Birthday dear Peguin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you must be at least 29 this year.

      Delete
  2. If Dolly can die then so can the rest of us. Happy Birthday David!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wish on your birthday is that you get everything you wish for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely family photo, and you haven't changed too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had more hair then.

      Delete
  5. Happy Happy Happy. Enjoy the day, the week, the month, the year, the life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! I love the family photo. Your mom looks a lot like my mom. I think it's the glasses and hair. You have certainly had a year of lots of travel. Here's hoping you have another one next year! Celebrate your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think my mother ware those glasses for a decade. In the coming year, Alaska, Florida, the Virgin Islands, Philly, Chicago twice.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday, David! Wishing you a year filled with lots of laughter, much joy, safe travels, good health, and much love! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! I'm with you on the things. NO MORE THINGS!

    ReplyDelete