To make a dry Gin Martini start with good Gin, add a splash of white vermouth, shake with ice, and strain into a frozen glass, the proper garnish is an olive. It really is that simple. Be very sparing with the vermouth, the flavor should be the herbals in the gin.
Some people make Martinis with Vodka. I am in the camp that thinks a dry martini needs to be made with gin. A flavored martini is best made with vodka, as the flavor comes from the added flavor, not the clear liqueur.
I recently made a coffee cordial to be used to make Espresso martinis. It is fairly easy to make. Start with ground coffee, you need about half a pound of good dark roast and about 700 ML of vodka. Buy a vodka you would drink. Combine the coffee and the vodka in a tightly sealed container, shake, and let sit. Shake it a couple of times a day, for a couple of days. In essence you are making a vodka based cold brew coffee. Strain it, I used a fine mesh strainer for the first pass, then re-strained through a coffee filter (if you don't do this the final produce will be gritty.) Combine 1 1/2 cups of sugar, with 1/2 cup of water and a squirt of corn syrup in a small sauce pan, heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and it is mostly clear. You don't want to boil this, probably 165-170 degrees F. Let this cool.
Combine the strained coffee with the sugar syrip, and bottle.
To make a coffee or expresso martini,
1 part coffee cordial, two parts vodka over ice, shake, strain into a frozen glass. Enjoy!

That’s so funny. I was big on the specialty martinis like espresso or chocolate. Oh, how I loved those when I was working in Las Vegas.
ReplyDeleteExtra sweet, just for you.
DeleteI would add "just like you"
DeleteOh, you guys!
DeleteIf I have a martini it's normally vodka but we have a friend who loves his gin and always has something new se we'll drink gin when we visit; he always has some good stuff!
ReplyDeleteI usually have some good stuff.
DeleteI don't think I've ever had a martini of any description. I'm not a huge fan of gin. But I must say the espresso martini with vodka sounds damn good. I'd try that!
ReplyDeleteStop by and I will shake one up for you.
DeleteSince I don't like coffee, I won't be making one of those but your dry martini sounds pretty good to me.
ReplyDeleteHedricks
DeleteDid someone say gin?????
ReplyDeleteYou hardly touch the stuff.
DeleteI wholeheartedly agree about martinis -- they really need to be gin, in my book. And yes, no more than a whisper of vermouth.
ReplyDeleteI've encountered several bartenders in the UK who don't know how to make a martini. They think I mean straight Martini-brand vermouth. God no!
Two countries separated by a common language.
DeleteJust stopping in to say hello today as I don't drink alcohol or coffee!! :)
ReplyDelete