Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Sunday Five: Starbucks


1: Would you stop at this Starbucks, it is between the train station and the Palace of Versailles? 

2: When was the last time, you had something from a Starbucks? 

3: How do you feel about those who believe Starbucks is evil? 

4: Describe your local alternative to Starbucks? 

5: What is your order at Starbucks? 

My answers: 

1: Would you stop at this Starbucks, it is between the train station and the Palace of Versailles?  We walked right on by. 

2: When was the last time, you had something from a Starbucks?  A couple of weeks ago in a hospital lobby. 

3: How do you feel about those who believe Starbucks is evil? Starbucks ignited and interest in good coffee in the United States at a time when coffee in the USA was dismal at best. They have overgrown their welcome. 

4: Describe your local alternative to Starbucks? Misha's on King Street roasts in-house. https://mishascoffee.com/. Starbucks closed one of their two King Street locations. 

5: What is your order at Starbucks? Iced coffee or a Venti Mocha Frappuccino. 

Please share your answers in the comments.

16 comments:

  1. I used to stop in at Starbucks before Covid...but then when everything closed down and reopened, they don't agree me. Can't stand them now. And their concoctions at this point are beyond coffee. I haven't patronized them since 2023. I use local coffee companies...here it is Daytons at the farmer market and swear by Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I also like their Costa Rican and Brazilian blends too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Lol at buying coffee at Starbucks in Paris.
    2. 2015 in NYC but only for something to eat, not coffee.
    3. Starbucks in Australia has never had good coffee by anyone's imagination. Most have closed down as Australians rejected the style of coffee and we prefer small cafes with talented baristas making our coffee. The main patrons in the surviving businesses are mostly overseas students who drink sweet and flavoured coffee concoctions. It is interesting how successful American food models have been so unsuccessful here when transplanted as the same business model without adaption to the local market. Starbucks, Taco Bell, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, Dunkin' Doughnut?. Many many people lost lots of money as they opened a franchise shop of the above mentioned, and the business failed. Similar has happened in Europe too, where the imposed American model just did not work.
    4. Almost anywhere is better.
    5. Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. McDonalds failed in Iceland, Starbucks only has two recently new locations. Five Guys - a local burger chain from here in Virginia has a opened in France and England.

      Delete
  3. 1. For a drink - probably not. Maybe on the way back to the station. To use their restroom? Yes.
    2. Maybe a month ago - an iced tea.
    3. While they do have benefits for their workers, better than most in that industry, they can do better. They have the means and the footprint.
    4. I like using local. That said, their iced teas are about the same price as Starbucks for at least 1/3 less in volume.
    5. Venti black iced tea. No sugar. No water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The train station has a crystal chandelier

      Delete
  4. 1: Would you stop at this Starbucks, it is between the train station and the Palace of Versailles? I most certainly would not! How dare you suggest sucha thing?
    2: When was the last time, you had something from a Starbucks? Never.
    3: How do you feel about those who believe Starbucks is evil? I feel that they are dumbasses. Starbucks is just a profit hungry commercial business like all the rest.
    4: Describe your local alternative to Starbucks? Our kitchen where I have instant Italian roast coffee granules in a jar that I bought in Porto, Portugal.
    5: What is your order at Starbucks? "Let me out of here you bastards!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the Brits drink instant - a cry for help.

      Delete
    2. What is a "Brit"? Not a word I have ever used myself.
      Take my son Ian - for example - he always drinks "real" coffee but I cannot be bothered with all the palaver. Besides, I drink far more tea.

      Delete
    3. To me that word is an insult. It is also a lazy, modern affectation born in this century. I do not mind being referred to as a Briton - someoneone born and raised on the island of Britain but you can stuff your "Brit"!

      Delete
  5. 1.Would you stop at this Starbucks, it is between the train station and the Palace of Versailles?
    No, I would go to an independent cafe.
    2: When was the last time, you had something from a Starbucks?
    Three years ago. The coffee was mediocre and, having parked right outside the front door, I ended up with a parking fine of £100. There were hardly any customers and the staff had plenty of opportunity to draw my attention to the parking time limit but they didn’t. I vowed never to go to any Starbucks again..
    3: How do you feel about those who believe Starbucks is evil?
    They probably have good reason.
    4: Describe your local alternative to Starbucks?
    Any French village cafe serves good coffee at a good price without all the hassle.
    5: What is your order at Starbucks?
    Nothing. Water is a better option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, those wonderful small town bars and coffee shops in France and Italy.

      Delete
  6. I don't drink coffee. I don't go to Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1: Would you stop at this Starbucks, it is between the train station and the Palace of Versailles? I would like to say “no,” but I’ve stopped at Starbucks several times here in Spain. Shameful.
    2: When was the last time, you had something from a Starbucks? I’m guessing maybe 9 months to a year.
    3: How do you feel about those who believe Starbucks is evil? They’re probably right, but most corporate giants are evil.
    4: Describe your local alternative to Starbucks? Too numerous to list.
    5: What is your order at Starbucks? Don’t have a standard order. When we lived in Vegas, our local Starbucks had pumpkin spice cookies for autumn and I loved those.

    ReplyDelete