Saturday, August 29, 2026

The Saturday Morning Post: Your Internal Attitude Affects Your Creativity


I used to say, I can't draw, now I say, I am still developing my ability to draw.  If you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right either way. By changing my self description from I can't, to I am learning how - I change my internal attitude from negative to positive or at least possible.  Developing physical skills, be it athletic moves, dancing, or drawing takes work and practice for me. It does not mean I can't do it, just that I need to work at it. 

Most coaches and teachers either didn't have the time, or simply gave up, feeding the internal dialog of "I can't." I would get a passing grade on the art class project and no encouragement to develop beyond what was done and turned in. When I was in high school in Florida the physical education teacher had us doing "football runs through tires." To keep from falling, I slowed down, and focussed on each movement. The others shouted to hurry up, and the one brilliant coach said, "take your time, your body will learn the movements with practice." He was the only coach or teacher who ever encouraged me to develop at my speed. It has taken me a lifetime to realize that thinking "I can't, telling others that I can't," is a self defeating dialog. This past year, I have changed that, to I am learning, I am still developing, I am still experimenting. This changes my practice, and as they say, practice makes perfect, from an expectation of failure to a possibility of progress and success. 

And it is not just internal. When I talk with others about what I am learning and developing, I no longer start out with "I can't really draw," I start out with, "I am still developing my ability to draw." 

What you say and think, impacts your ability to create. Consciously change what you say to yourself and to others, and it will change your creative work.  

8 comments:

  1. I am still developing my being a nice person skills, which simply involves biting my tongue when I want to speak. I just can't do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing you need to work in this, is the first step

      Delete
  2. I believe everyone can draw but so many people who say they can't because they want the drawing to look perfect. Just let it fly and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when you finish it may be the best you have every created.

      Delete
  3. "Run for fun and personal best" was what my children who were cross country runners learned in high school. The cross country teams were very large and very successful as each student was cheered no matter where they finished. Just trying and improving bit by bit made them feel great and was so good for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my 30th birthday I did a sprint series triathlon at Sea World in Orlando, I finished under my own power, the man that finished just before me was 83, the oldest person to run that day.

      Delete
  4. I think we might have had the same art teacher. She discourage me at every turn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
    "Practice! Practice! Practice!"

    I'm sure that you've heard the admonition to "Draw every day". The thinking behind it is that you are working on process, not product. You are developing both your discipline and your drawing language skills. At the end of one year you will have 365 drawings.If one is "good" congratulations! However you are likely to have parts of many drawings that worked out well and other parts that didn't. Some techniques that you may want to explore and others that you will choose never to do again. It is a continuous learning process world without end.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete