Monday, July 27, 2026

Monday Mood: What Did I have to Lose?

I am sure I have shown this photo before. I had it printed and I framed it. I was going to use it in a community gallery show, then the show filled up and I brought it home and it is on the wall just inside my bedroom door. 

Every month or so I receive an email from Artomatic, a local group that when they can takes over a vacant commercial space or empty office building and turns it into an temporary art space. In the email were listings of regional events, including a call for submissions for the Graham Slaughter Biannual Photography Competition at the Dorchester Center for the Arts in Maryland.  It was interesting, but I have not had much luck in juried competitions.  But I already had the photo printed and framed, what did I have to lose? So I sent it in. 

As they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day. I received an email saying the work has been accepted for the show.  I will drive over and drop it off today. How fun. 

Anytime you are thinking, I don't know, maybe I am not talented enough, my work is not that great, stop and ask yourself, what do I have to lose? Not much, take the chance. 
 

10 comments:

  1. Well done, and it is a good photo. It could be titled "Get me to the church on time".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wedding won't start without them.

      Delete
  2. I do love this photo. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One out of 4,350 taken on that trip.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! It's a very intriguing photo that really draws in the viewer. Where did you take it -- France, Quebec or elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting for the RER C in Paris.

      Delete
  4. It never hurts to try, but if you don't try you'll always wonder ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying is avoiding a failure to launch.

      Delete
  5. How exciting for you! If you don't try, you'll never know. You caught a cool moment in time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! You have many wonderful talents, David.

    ReplyDelete