Saturday, October 03, 2026

The Saturday Morning Post: Practice Leads to Improvement


 I was working on updating the digital display for the local arts group, and Renee stopped to talk. I explained to her what I was doing, and about the upcoming gallery shows. 

She has taken up watercolor painting. She took a drawing class and was deeply surprised to find that she is pretty good at it. That led to her trying her hand at watercolors. She has a three year old granddaughter in New York. She said she was playing with her granddaughter and mentioned that she had taken up painting. The child said, "oh please send me one of your paintings." When she returned home she did that, mailing a small watercolor to her granddaughter. When it arrived there was a phone call expressing great delight and a plea to "please send me more." This has led to three mailings a week and three phone calls of delight every week. 

She said she has been delighted by how much her painting has improved, the more she does, the happier she is with the results. And her granddaughter loves receiving the steady stream of work. 

What a fun way to develop her creative abilities. 

10 comments:

  1. How wonderful for Renee that her granddaughter appreciates her creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one massively manipulative family, the kid will be pulled in five directions at once.

      Delete
  2. That's so nice. I like the painting you've displayed, but it looks like a palette knife oil painting, so I guess it isn't one of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is by a neighborhood artist, and was in the last show.

      Delete
  3. What a great, sweet story. Inspiration from a child.
    I love the painting at the top, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping Renne will show one of her landscapes in our community gallery.

      Delete
  4. What a good story! Behold the power of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the distant grandmother, the other grandmother lives near the granddaughter. She is thrilled that this is building a connection.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like they have a perfect bond. While improving her skills, she is also staying connected.

    ReplyDelete