Where have I been this week? If all has gone to plan, Cambridge Maryland, on the southern end of the Chesapeake Bay. I had a photo in a jurried show at the Dorchester Center for the Arts, the show is over and it was time to collect the piece. We made a road trip out of it, spending the night and hopefully having time to explore a bit.
Where else have I been? Aldi, the community center, the pool, the treadmill. Old Town Alexandria for a long walk. Old Town for a second walk and a little shopping. I needed to pick up supplies to bake fruit cakes later this week.
What have I been up to in the kitchen? I poached a chicken - from that we had chicken and rice, and chicken pot pies, and I have about 4 cups of chicken stock to cook with. A pork stew, a had a pork tenderloin and didn't feel like roasting it. Dice and saute one small onion, quarter half a dozen mushrooms, two stalks celery, one small white turnip, one golden beet, two medium potatoes, two medium carrots peeled and chopped, cube the pork, a couple of cups of the chicken stock, some red wine, salt, pepper, and old bay. Simmer for a couple of hours. It was delightful on a cool wet day.
Who deserves a slap this week? The UPS delivery driver who left my package outside someone else's door last Friday afternoon. There are 250 almost identical doors in this building, over 1,000 in the four high rise towers. At least 2 slaps out of 5.
Who deserves a big THANK YOU and a hug this week? The neighbor who realized that the box left at their door was not theirs, and delivered it to the right door. (I have done the same over the years.)
Who deserves a HUGE THANK YOU? The dear friend who sent me an irreplaceable gift.
What am I reading? A book about mental illness and creative persons, artists, writers, film makers, actors. Many live a complicated life.
What is on the easel? A fresh start, primed in a metallic powder blue.
What am I drinking? I recently opened a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel, it is exceptionally good. A little at a time, the bottle will last me a month or so. The origins of the name Four Roses. A young man met a young lady that he wanted to get to know better. He asked her to dance with him at an upcoming ball, and she said, she would think about it. If the answer was yes, she would be carrying a red rose at the ball, when he arrived she was holding four roses. He named his new business Four Roses.
it's always interesting to learn the backstory of business names. I've been getting busy in the kitchen lately myself. I've recently made stuffed peppers, chicken carbon fettucine, three loaves of homemade bread and a huge stock pot of chicken corn soup.
ReplyDeleteYou are home and nesting.
DeleteSweet story about Four Roses.
ReplyDeleteI did a distillery tour there one morning.
DeleteThat book about mental illness and creativity sounds interesting. What is the title and author's name, please?
ReplyDeleteThe Danger To Be Sane, creativity and the eccentric mind, Rosa Montero
DeleteDoes your partner The Golden Hamster also deserve a slap this week? I am sure that he has done something to annoy you - like singing ABBA songs in the shower.
ReplyDeleteThe pork dish sounds dee-lish; I'm gonna give that a try on our next cool wet day.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the Four Roses story!