Wednesday, October 07, 2026

My World of Wonders: October 17, 2026

 

Where have I been this week? The community center, the gym, the farmers market. 

Who have I talked with this week? Amy, Jon, Elaine, Anna, Susan, Raf, my Sweet Bear, Krissy, Grace, Tom, Alan, Kathy, Ellen, . 

What have I been up to in the Kitchen? Cheese and bacon quiche. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and a simple salad with homemade vinaigrette.  Beef stew. My annual fruitcake. I have written about this tradition a couple of times. 

I cook bacon ahead of time, in the oven. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, I double layer this. Spread the bacon on the tray, I do a whole package at once. Bake at about 375F for 20-40 minutes, the time will vary with how thickly the bacon is cut, and how lean it is. You want it done, but not crispy. Drain the fat off (store the bacon fat in the refrigerator to cook with) and store the bacon in the refrigerator. You can chop it to use as an ingredient such as the quiche or crisp it in the microwave for 30-60 seconds to serve hot. It stores well. 

Eggs fried in bacon fat, on toasted crumpets, with bacon. 


Who deserves a slap this week? The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, returned all of the pianos to Steinway this past week.  For the most part the pianos are leased or loaned, they belong to Steinway.  Returning them is a clear indication that they are not expecting to use them. It is really sad to see the Kennedy Center closed. At least 5 slaps, out of 5. 

Where am I going this week?  A little road trip, Corning, New York - spend the night, visit the Corning Glass Museum, then drive onto Syracuse.  The National Aging and Law Conference that I produced ten time during my time with the ABA, is being hosted at the Law School at Syracuse.  Then from there we will drive to Harrisburg, PA and have dinner with Mistress Maddie, and the next day drive on home. Not a long trip, but a nice change of scene and a chance for me to hobnob with my my fellow wizards. 

What is coming up, that I have not made any plans for? Our 34th Anniversary. It is on a Saturday. We should plan going out to lunch someplace nice.  Will we live long enough to make it to 50 years? 

What is on the easel? A fresh start, primed in a metallic sky blue. 

What am I looking forward to? A phone interview on a possible consulting project for just after the first of the year. It would more than pay for next year's travel plans. 

What has left me scratching my head? Lawyers who can't follow a simple direction. Sometimes the brighter they are, the less they make sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment