Everyone was moved outside, about half an hour later the hotel announced that it was safe to go back inside. Most people did, a few refused to do so. One group told the hotel to ship their bags, and took a taxi to the airport. A few minutes later it was announced that the conference was adjourning early. I walked a couple of blocks, and found a Capital Bikeshare Bike, and started my journey home. The subway had reopened, but with a very-slow speed restriction. The wait to get into a station in the city stretched down the block. I rode out of the city. By the time I got to Crystal City, in Arlington, I was able to get on a train to my home station. Good thing, as BikeShare had not extended service to Alexandria at that time.
The photo above was take a couple of months later, as I was riding across the Mall on my way to L'Enfant plaza to catch the train home.
The Washington Monument was closed after the earthquake. It needed a careful inspection, not easy to do. They put out a call for structural engineers, who were skilled mountain climbers and under 150 pounds. They squeezed out through windows, secured ropes and meticulously inspected the outside of the monument. Ultimately the monument was surrounded by scaffolding for a few months. Then later, closed for replacement of the elevators, the rails the elevators ride on were twisted in ways that could not be unkinked causing frequent malfunctions.
The photo above was a once in a lifetime moment, being in the right time at the right time. Kind of like being in DC when an earthquake shakes the world.
* the Marriott Hotel closed a few years ago, was torn down and replaced by apartments.
How lucky to get that shot! I had completely forgotten about that quake.
ReplyDeleteIt was an exciting afternoon.
DeleteScary!
ReplyDeleteIt could have been so much worse.
DeleteWow...quite a story and a great shot, too. We get some little tremors from time to time. The conspiracy theorists blame it on fracking.
ReplyDeleteWhat do the geologists say?
DeleteLiving in California we went through several earthquakes. Very weird feeling when the ground rolls and shakes.
ReplyDeleteWe had a couple of minor rumbles when we lived in Lexington. this was bigger, but not near what can happen.
DeleteEven though they are rare... in the past I have also felt light rumblings in Bucks County and Harrisburg. I only hope I'm never in New York City if those plates upon which it is built...shift. That just could be the world's biggest disaster. Those skyscrapers would go down like dominos.
ReplyDeleteI never knew that story, David. That's a great shot of those brave workers up there.
ReplyDelete