Friday, September 18, 2026

Friday Rant: AI Meeting summary

Below is an AI generated summary or lack thereof, of a meeting to discuss policy on biomarkers, genetic testing, funding for Social Security, assisted reproductive technology, supported decision making, and financial exploitation. 

Summary

Incoherent Meeting Discussion

The transcript appears to be fragmented and contains disjointed conversations without a clear central topic or decision-making context. The discussions seem to cover various unrelated topics including weather, cooking, building inspections, and technical issues, but no specific decisions, action items, or clear next steps were identified that would warrant summarization. Without more coherent content or clear meeting objectives, it's not possible to provide a meaningful summary that would be helpful to someone who missed the meeting.


So much for the idea of AI making our lives easier or better, I am glad I was taking notes the old fashioned way.  Thanks AI assistant, you can go back to to your data center and think about this one a bit more. 

I didn't ask for this, it was auto-generated by the video conferencing service and sent to me after the meeting. What a waste of electrons. AI needs to clean up the mess. 

Later last week, a colleague sent me an AI generated work plan, 53 pages, based on over 500 pages of policy. For the most part, it was a waste of electrons. It took me years to understand the distinction between, the parts of the policy statement and report and what counted and what didn't, the AI bot does not know that difference. And on the one that I checked the citation, it was entirely wrong, the document cited had absolutely nothing to do with the action suggested in the work plan. 

We need to double check the AI work, and not fear for our jobs until it gets a whole lot better. 

11 comments:

  1. The future has arrived and it’s not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A.I. is still in its infancy but learning all the time - learning to walk, to sing, to calculate, to create, to solve. Wait until A.I. reaches its adolescence. It's like Pandora and her box all over again. Why couldn't they keep the lid sealed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People said the same thing about cars, phones, television, radio, computers.

      Delete
  3. AI can't even produce accurate and timely subtitles on our screens. I am receiving AI slop ads on YouTube. An ad, relating to Australia with a US voice over, with a woman with an Australian accent speaking a single sentence at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of work left to do.

      Delete
  4. Have you seen the absolutely HORRIBLE AI subtitles produced on YouTube videos these days? The software can't recognize words that are even marginally uncommon or complex and substitute the most terrible nonsense for it. It's driving me mental.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photo is spot on for your Friday Rant! I've read AI articles that are horribly written...makes me want to get out that good ole teacher pencil and mark it up big time. There's a lot of tweaking in to do in AI's future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orrrrrr... For regular folk like us, it pretends to be incompetent so we do not fear it. Meanwhile, in the background, far from consumer usage, it is actually planning to take over the universe. Only world leaders know what it's really up to. Note that the pope became alarmed only after his election and, presumably, after he received his highly classified security and intelligence briefing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We use an AI tool to summarize meetings where I work. It was a true mess when we first started it but it's much better now. Our boss loves it.
    But, don't get me wrong....I see the handwriting on the wall. In the wrong hands, it's going to be deadly.

    ReplyDelete