Everytime we are creative, we build a base, to link to the next creative project. Everything that works, I learn from. Even when I am unhappy with the work, I learn something, a color or technique that didn't work the way I had hoped, I learn from. On the August trip to Chicago I took a smaller camera, it was easier to pack and carry, but it didn't capture good images in overcast, rainy weather, not the right tool for that day. But I learned, it is fine in bright sunshine, not so great on a dull day. The right tool, at the right time, adds a link to my chain of knowledge.
Everytime we spend time exploring other's creative work, we add another link to the creative chain. I am often inspired by something I eat in a restaurant, to try something new in my kitchen. I love shopping in unusual markets, I see things, smell things, that inspire my creativity in the kitchen. Seeing art in a gallery or museum, or on the street, gives me ideas of things I could do. Adding new links to my chain of creativity.
Sometimes I will paint a series of paintings in a similar style or format. Repeating the same theme multiple times. Each time I learn what works, what does not, adding links to my chain of creativity.
Through all of this, I have learned that I need to keep working, to keep trying, to add new links of knowledge with every step.
Right or wrong, good or bad, it's all learning.
ReplyDeleteI've often called it failing up, because even in failure you learn what to do and what not to do.
Striving for a spectacular failure.
DeleteLifelong learning is a building and connecting process.
ReplyDeleteThe chain of life.
DeleteI get inspired by almost everything I see around me. I love learning and can't imagine not trying to learn something new.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes struggle with converting inspiration to creation.
DeleteThat's a good philosophy for life.
ReplyDeleteThanks you!
DeleteFocus should be on process, not product.
ReplyDeleteWill Jay
So true
DeleteI like the chain analogy even though, in another sense, none of us want to be chained.
ReplyDeleteBut aren't we all chained to our existence.
Delete