Sunday, August 23, 2026

The Sunday Five: Travel Quest

1: What is your favorite part of flying? 

2: Where would you go if you owned the boat in this photo? 

3: What is your "go-to" hotel brand?

4: If you kept a travel journal, how many pages would you have filled in the past decade? 

5: What is the longest distance you have traveled alone? 

My Answers: 

1: What is your favorite part of flying? When the plane turns into the active runway and powers up to take off. 

2: Where would you go if you owned the boat in this photo? I would turn it around and slowly explore the shoreline of Lake Michigan, the journey would take weeks, maybe months. 

3: What is your "go-to" hotel brand? I have become a big Hilton fan. Hilton has several brands from economy to luxury, Hampton and Home2Suites are a couple of my favorites. 

4: If you kept a travel journal, how many pages would you have filled in the past decade? At least a couple hundred pages. 

5: What is the longest distance you have traveled alone? About 17-18 years ago we went to Greece.  I was flying on frequent flyer miles, Sweet Bear was flying on a ticket the University paid for, so we flew separately.  So I flew from Lexington Kentucky to Athens solo, with changes of planes in Cincinnati and New York. 

Please share your answers in the comments.

 

12 comments:

  1. 1: What is your favorite part of flying? Take off - as the plane thrusts down the runway.
    2: Where would you go if you owned the boat in this photo? To the St Regis skyscraper in Chicago.
    3: What is your "go-to" hotel brand? The "Cheap As Chips" chain.
    4: If you kept a travel journal, how many pages would you have filled in the past decade? With normal sized handwriting or tiny print? What size would the journal be? Let's say ten pages a year so that's a hundred pages in total.
    5: What is the longest distance you have traveled alone? 10,128 miles - from London to Suva, Fiji.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1: What is your favorite part of flying? The view from the air, at low altitude and high.
    2: Where would you go if you owned the boat in this photo? Not very far.
    3: What is your "go-to" hotel brand? I don’t have one.
    4: If you kept a travel journal, how many pages would you have filled in the past decade? My blog tends to be my travel journal.
    5: What is the longest distance you have traveled alone? Completely alone, I suppose from someplace in Europe to someplace in California.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your favorite part of flying? Having a drink at the before before flying!

    Where would you go if you owned the boat in this photo? Have it placed in the Thousand Islands for a three hour tour. It's been years.

    What is your "go-to" hotel brand? I don't do chains anymore. It's always a boutique hotel or a B&B.

    If you kept a travel journal, how many pages would you have filled in the past decade? At least two journals.

    What is the longest distance you have traveled alone? A flight to Budapest to visit Warbucks. I hate traveling alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is about 4,500 miles, you were not alone once you arrived.

      Delete
  4. 1. Falling asleep and the stress goes away.
    2. Up and down Melbourne's Yarra River.
    3. I don't really have one but I thought the Premier Inns in England were quite good, as was the Fairmont chain in Canada. Travelodge is usually dependable.
    4. I blog about holidays, generally one post each day. So while I am not doing the arithmetic, that is one page every time I am away from home for a short break or long holiday.
    5. By car Melbourne to Sydney and reverse. Shorter nowadays at 9 hours for 900km, plus break times. By train, 11.30 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My longest train ride was DC to Boston, about 9 hours, a couple of hours of that in a dense fog.

      Delete
  5. My favorite part of flying? Are you serious? LOL. The farthest I've traveled alone was this past May, from Baltimore to Buenos Aires. What a slog. Is that picture of the Chicago River? I took an AIA tour by boat of Chicago and it was most enjoyable. I wish I had written a journal of all my trips over the past 30 years. I just started doing it this year. Better late than never I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Chicago, from the Michigan Avenue Bridge.

      Delete
  6. 1: What is your favorite part of flying? Windows seats and pre-boarding.
    2: Where would you go if you owned the boat in this photo? The Keys.
    3: What is your "go-to" hotel brand? Smaller is better.
    4: If you kept a travel journal, how many pages would you have filled in the past decade? I talk a lot so it's be a few I think ...
    5: What is the longest distance you have traveled alone? About 5000 miles ... east coast to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Hawaii I stopped in Newport Beach on the way out, the trip back was a change at LA in the middle of the night. That was a year when I was in 11 or 12 time zones, Hawaii in February and Austria in August.

      Delete