Monday, August 31, 2026

Monday Moods: Life


Congratulations, if you are reading this, you woke up alive again today. Not everyone did. I assure you some of them were very surprised to wake up dead. 

Remember it does not matter what others think, if it makes you happy and does not injure others, do it. If you want to work hard today, do so, if you want to lay around in naked in bed all day, do it. 

Use the good stuff. Doc Spo recently mentioned moving the nice cocktail glasses to a lower shelf, so they will be seen and used. If you are saving it for a special day, today is special because you woke up alive again, use the good stuff. 

Life has challenges, it matter more how we respond to those challenges, than the challenges we face.  Be like a cat, kick some sand over it, and move on. 

Avoid those who say you have to do something, or you should never do something.  Those words, have to, and never do, get the attention of the algorithms that make social media rich, and often our lives poorer. Do what makes you happy. 

Deep down underneath it all, what we all want, is a safety and comfort. A place to live, to protect us from the weather, food to nourish our bodies, safe water to drink, security - knowing that no one is going to try to hurt us or deprive us of what we need to be safe and secure. 

That is life. 



15 comments:

  1. If it doesn't make you happy and joyful and peaceful and all the things, then it doesn't matter. It's a cool morning and we are off for a walk through town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it's hard to feel happy these days, when so many are not happy and are being harmed. It does matter and can't be ignored. I know I am lucky so I want to do more and I do try to help but still feel helpless because there is too much to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      And the wisdom to know the difference.

      Delete
  3. It's raining here! Totally unexpected. I'm off for a walk in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great walk, some people walk in the rain, some just get wet.

      Delete
  4. Spo made a good point. I hate when people say , I only use it when company is here, I only use the pool when the kids come by, I only wear this for good. Why? I use and wear good stuff every day! Like you said anything could happen at a moment notice enjoy thing now. Hence my favorite quote ever-

    LIVE!LIVE! Life is a banquet, and some sorry suckers are starving to death."

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do use the good stuff -- to the extent that we have any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between selling the other house, and remodeling the kitchen, we got rid of most of what we didn't use.

      Delete
  6. We had a conversation a long time ago about using the good stuff all the time, and we do. SG’s sister had “wedding China” she used for the first time after she was married 15 years. She’s now been married nearly 50 years and I think she’s only used it once since. I don’t know who she’s preserving it for. We all think it’s ugly and the kids don’t want it.

    I, too, woke up still not dead again today. I think I’m glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We packed my mother's china, and sent it to one of my sister's kids without warning that it was coming.

      Delete
  7. In my family the expression is "That's too good for the likes of you". My mother was appalled when she overheard us using that expression.

    I think that decorative arts objects are aspirational and embody hopes and dreams of the owner (in a residential setting) . Simpler items are used for the necessities or everyday life, However a decorative art object proves to us that we are human and capable of better. This calls to mind the old German expression "Menschen Essen, Tieren fressen" (roughly translated as People eat, animals feed).I think that with so many of the decorative art pieces that people have in their homes people get caught up in the aesthetic component and forget to use it thereby depriving themselves of bringing art, joy, or whimsy into their daily lives.

    I will argue that the decorative arts are necessary because otherwise we are just a few steps away from standing over the kitchen sink and eating the Chinese Take-Away

    ReplyDelete
  8. You often give out life-affirming tips and I know they are coming from a good place.

    ReplyDelete