Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Food Entertainment


I was watching Worst Cooks in America, for those who have avoided this bit of torture, it is a reality television game show that starts with selecting the least talented and most neurotic home cooks, and tries to teach them how to cook.  The results of teaching people how to cook are somewhat remarkable, you can teach old dogs new skills.  The starting point for people who can't cook astounds me at how little they know and how afraid they are of the kitchen.  

My grandmother (who was not a great cook) instilled in me the importance of understanding ingredients and basic technique.  I took it from there, learning how to handle a knife, I can mince, dice, chop, slice, julienne and chiffonde.  I know the difference between braising, broiling, frying, roasting and baking.  I have a basic understanding of a wide array of ingredients, I am willing to experiment with new foods, new preparations.  I view recipes as a starting point, not a chemistry formula.  I won't say I am a great cook, but I am not the worst. 

What Worst Cooks leaves out of the show is the basic cooking boot camp that they work through.  They don't show the instruction in the basics, that so many people really need. I miss Cooking with Julia and The French Chief.  

Do you like to cook?     

7 comments:

  1. I think spouse enjoys it more than I do. but I like to bake and he doesn't. so it all evens out.

    I learned how to cook from my maternal grandmother. spouse learned from his father. we are not julia child, but we manage nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/21/2018

    I married a chef. Go figure.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned to follow a basic recipe in my home ec class when I was 12 or 13. It's like building a house. Get a good foundation and build up from there. I liked cooking until everything started tasting metallic. Meds. I absolutely loved to bake stuff that I can't eat now, and balder half never liked the fancy desserts, so I settle for watching baking shows like Kids Baking Championship. Boy those kids can cook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like to cook. However, If I were left alone for hours with an incredible kitchen and ONE recipe, I WOULD enjoy myself. I am capable. I used to love to watch Julia. These contemporary "reality" cooking shows make me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog was absolutely fantastic!
    Great deal of great information & this can be useful some or maybe the other way.
    Keep updating your blog,anticipating to get more detailed contents.
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete