Wednesday, November 22, 2017

They Told Me This Day Would Come


I am starting to think about retirement.  It is at least 6 years in the future, but I am starting to get comfortable with the idea of working less, or not at all.  One of my colleagues has cut back to three days a week - maybe I will do that at 65 and hang on a few more years.  For a long time, I didn't think that retirement was something I could do.  My work is a major part of my life.  But I am starting to think that there are enough other things to keep me busy.  

What do I see in retirement? 

I want to never wear a tie again.  I seldom wear them, I would like to toss them all in the trash.  

I want to never wear a starched shirt again.  30 years ago I discovered the joys of having sending my dress shirts out to be washed and ironed - executive shirt service. I look forward to not needing to do that any longer.  I want to wear jeans and comfortable shirts everyday for the rest of my life.  

I want to travel in and out of the city off peak rush hour.  On the rare day that I board metro at 9:00 AM instead of 8:00 AM, the ride is so much less crowded.  It is also cheaper if I enter the system after 9:00.  

I want to fix lunch at home, or go out in the middle of the day and not be worried about getting back to duties.  

I want to be able to stay up past 10:00 at night, without being concerned about getting enough sleep.  

I am reaching the point that retirement may be an option.  They told me this day would come.  

Should I look forward to retirement? 

4 comments:

  1. Yes!
    I wound down slowly: going from charge nurse of a busy ICU to permanent night shift 3 nights a week - my choice of nights. I was still in charge, but only of the shift, so it was much easier. Then I decided to switch to agency nursing which was fabulous. I mostly worked at the same couple of hospitals, so I knew them and they knew me. Then when my back gave out, a little before I had planned to stop working, I didn't really mind. That was 14 years ago now and life is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it myself and highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still working at age 63 and like it! no thoughts of retirement here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last day is 12/31.

    looking forward to it, but at the same time it is rather daunting!

    Like Rozzie, my back bothers me, and sitting at a desk all day doesn't help at all.

    So I am standing up and walking into the sunset!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete