Sunday, October 29, 2017

Your Tips for Living a Better Life - the Sunday Five


I attended a good briefing on dementia and brain health the other day, presented by an international expert and a dear friend.  In the end they offered a few suggestions for preserving cognitive function - inspiration for this weeks Sunday five. 

1: What is your advice for eating healthier? 
2: How often do you go for a nice walk? 
3: How much sleep do you get on an average night?
4: How do you blow off steam and reduce stress? 
5: Do you feel obligated to partake in social engagements with people you don't like? 

My answers: 
1: What is your advice for eating healthier?  All things in moderation, my biggest challenge is not what I eat, but how much. 
2: How often do you go for a nice walk? I make it to the gym 5 or 6 times a week for 30 minutes of movement. 
3: How much sleep do you get on an average night?  About 7.5 hours, after I had my spine rebuilt, I had trouble sleeping through the night, I recently slept for 9.5 hours without chemical assistance or interruption - it was bliss.  
4: How do you blow off steam and reduce stress? Hmm, I am not very good at this, I have been known to pound my head against the wall.  
5: Do you feel obligated to partake in social engagements with people you don't like?  I try to avoid this, sometimes it is business or family, but frequently I'd sooner spend time alone.  Time spent with myself, is time spent with someone I like, someone who understands me.  

Your answers: 


5 comments:

  1. 1) Always start off with a salad either dressing-less or with minimal amounts of dressing then when the entree arrives eat any and all vegetables first. If the meat portion is large, cut it in half and take half home to make a sandwich for lunch tomorrow.
    2) I walk the dogs daily and try to walk anywhere else I can. Always park out in a parking lot and walk to get to store or if urban park on the outskirts of the corse and walk into the area. I do 20 minutes on treadmill before my thrice weekly weightlifting workouts and once a week take an hour stroll along the beach.
    3) 8.5-9 hours nightly. Both of us require that much, it’s a match made in heaven.
    4) Walking.
    5) I’ve learned to say no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1: I eat/drink whatever I damn well please
    2: constantly on the move at work/home
    3: 8-9 hours
    4: knit, read, listen to music
    5: HELL NO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1: portion control
    2: 1-2x a day with the pooch
    3: Not enough
    4: daily
    5: at times yes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really likes your blog! You have shared the whole concept really well and very beautifully soulful read!
    Thanks for sharing
    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1: What is your advice for eating healthier? Moderation is everything.

    2: How often do you go for a nice walk? Every single day.

    3: How much sleep do you get on an average night? Eight hours.

    4: How do you blow off steam and reduce stress? It's the walking; it's my meditation.

    5: Do you feel obligated to partake in social engagements with people you don't like? Nope.

    ReplyDelete