Saturday, October 07, 2017

At The Airport


Several times I have refreshed my long neglected high school french, for trips.  For years I used a cassette tape of "French At a Glance."  One of the chapters on the tape was "at the airport."  

The airport experience has changed over the past 25 years.  The focus of security has changed from looking drug traffickers and people wanted to go to Cuba (and take everyone on board along for the ride) to discouraging terrorists.  And like a lot of things in life, we have had to adjust to the "new normal."  There are also things you can do to make the airport experience easier. 

First, in the USA, sign up for Pre-Check.  Yes it costs a little money, and yes you have to provide the government with your personal information.  But once you do, security gets a bit easier. Leave your shoes on, leave your jacket on, no need to take your lap-top out.  I signed up for Global Entry, Global includes Pre-Check and adds to it an automated express lane at Customs and Immigration.  And several other countries honor Global Entry - saving me time and steps if I happen to travel through those countries. 

Second, check a bag.  Carry on bags create a hassle at security, boarding and disembarkation (getting off the plane.)   Yes, most airlines charge $25 each way to check a bag, but there are ways around that.  I have two airline credit cards, that I pay an annual free of less than $100 each for, that gives me free checked bags and priority (earlier) boarding zones on those airlines.  The cards also have special airline customer service numbers that connect me to a person faster and generally to a customer service person with more experience and authority.  When we are having a bad day, that can really help.  I would drop one of those two as most of my travel is on one airline these days, but that card in an American Express card, and if I dropped the airline affiliation I would pay the same price, for a card that "I won't leave home without." 

Third, be prepared for security.  I stop before I get in line and empty my pockets, putting my wallet, keys, phone and such in my shoulder bag.  I take off my belt and put it in the bag, the buckle will set off some of the metal detectors.  If I am going through the body scanners (an airport without a dedicated Pre-Check line) I take EVERYTHING out of my pockets, and I am not surprised if I get patted down.  My body is oddly shaped and frequently triggers being felt up.  If you know you are going to have to take off your shoes, be prepared, if you know you need to take off your coat, do so before you get in line - stuff it in your shoulder bag.   

Fourth, arrive at the airport on time.  On time at most airports is two hours before flight time on domestic flights and three hours on international flights.  Longer than this is better.  If things go smoothly you have time to relax, have a nice meal, maybe do a little shopping.  If things do not go well, you are not running to catch your flights.  Generally flights start boarding 30 minutes before departure (45 minutes for international and larger planes - maybe a little less for small commuter jets at smaller airports.) You need to be there when the plane starts boarding.  

Things will go wrong, I have had security shut down check in for 30 minutes because of a suspicious shape in someone luggage.  I have had the airport shuttle bus be 30 minutes late.  I have had security lines that took an hour.  I have had the person in front of my at check in or security take 20 minutes for what I did in two minutes.  It happens, if you are on time (ie: early) it will all be okay.  If you are late, and you miss your flight and the airlines will not be helpful  Your being late is not a reason for others to panic or go out of their way to help you. 

I am not a fan of TSA, but I have learned to do things their way and things go much smoother when I do.  

What is your tip for easier travel?   


4 comments:

  1. What is your tip for easier travel?   A bottle of gin.

    But you have raised some very good tips. And you don't sound upset at all by getting felt up, lol!!!!!! Luckily I have never had any major delays, or issues yet.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you have said plus:
    Even though It’s a little more expensive than just the credit card but since I travel at least once a month and I almost always have a connecting flight, due to the fact my city is an end destination not a hub, I am a member of may airline’s club through my credit card. The club gives me a comfortable place to relax, quiet desk work areas, fast free wi-if, good free food and drink. Most of all the club has its own customer service Counter with real live customer service reps. Anytime I have a delay, cancellation or even a shooter at the FTL baggage claim, the reps in the club take care of me and get me double booked on alternate flights making my experience easy and stress free.
    Also always, and I mean always, be a member of the airline you are flying’s Frequent flyer program. Try to fly mostly one airline and rack up points. Any agent you talk to can see how long you have been a member and how many lifetime points you have on their screen whether you are at elite level or not. It makes a difference especially when you are needing help and are nice to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL my tip? stay home.

    ReplyDelete