Sunday, September 10, 2017

Sunday Five - Beauty in the back yard



While not exactly in my back yard, Biltmore is less than a day's drive from home, and it is a world class Chateau and gardens.  It was designed to look like a European castle - and built as a vacation home by one of the Vanderbilts. As much as I enjoy the adventure of traveling far and wide, what beauty is virtually in my backyard? 

1: What is the nearest historic, famous, or grand home to where you live? 
2: What historical site is nearest to where you live? 
3: Where is the nearest art museum? 
4: When was the last time you visited a national park? 
5: Do you stop to smell the roses along the way? 

My Answers: 
1: What is the nearest historic, famous, or grand home to where you live?  - there are a bunch of minor sites in Alexandria, but Mt Vernon, George Washington's estate is just a few minutes down the road, probably the nearest and most widely recognized.  
2: What historical site is nearest to where you live? A 10 minute walk away, next to the Metro station is the site of a Civil War fort.  There is not much left on the site, but it has a historical marker. Lincoln visited.  
3: Where is the nearest art museum? One of the things that attracted me to DC was the museums, the National Gallery and Hirshorn are my favorites. 
4: When was the last time you visited a national park?  I pass through one on my daily commute, when I was in Florida the end of August I paid the admission fee to visit the Canaveral National Seashore. 
5: Do you stop to smell the roses along the way? Not often enough, I need to remember to do this more often. 

Your answers? 

6 comments:

  1. 1. The nearest historical site is the Fomthill Castle and the estate of Oscar Hammerstein.

    2.the nearest to the casa is probably Font Hill

    3.The nearest art museum is The Micshner Art Museum is Doylestown.

    4.Its been years since I was at a national park. But it was either Valley Forge National, or a Gettysburg Battlefield.

    5.I always stop to smell the roses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1: clivden house (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliveden_(Benjamin_Chew_House)
    2: independence hall
    3: philadelphia museum of art
    4: valley forge national park
    5: YES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1: What is the nearest historic, famous, or grand home to where you live? There are lots of grand old homes here in Camden, including the Kershaw Cornwallis house, but the most grand might just be Biltmore in Asheville.

    2: What historical site is nearest to where you live? We have a Revolutionary War site just south of downtown.

    3: Where is the nearest art museum? Columbia Museum of Art.

    4: When was the last time you visited a national park? We often hike through the Congaree National Park.

    5: Do you stop to smell the roses along the way? Carlos loves roses and has them planted all around the house so I literally stop and smell roses every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Biltmore.
    1) Here in SoCal there are many fabulous grand private homes nearby, some just blocks from my home. The nearest untra grand home that is open to public that I've been to is San Simeon which was the home of William Randolph Hurst.
    2) A ten minute walk from my house (and what my neighborhood is named after) was the original, not current, site of the San Diego Mission which was the first Mission in what is now the United States. Due to lack of a year round source of water the San Diego Mission was later moved to its still current location.
    3) The San Diego Museum of Art in Balboa Park.
    4) The Blue Ridge Parkway near my hometown in VA.
    5) Why yes I do. I last stopped a couple weeks ago at the Flagler Museum in Palm Beach. Beautiful guilded age home. A great place to stop and smell the plumeria.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9/15/2017

    good topic thanks for post for sharing on website ..





    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete